eeleimaj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2008, 07:16 AM
    Periodic system FIFO, LIFO, Avg Cost
    Beginning inventory and purchases as follows:

Beg Inv... 7 @ $104
    1st purch... 12 @ $103
    2nd purch... 19 @ $105
    3rd purch... 11 @ $107

Use periodic system. 19 units were left in inventory at the end of the period.
    Determine the cost of the 19 units in the inventory by each method, show work.

1) FIFO
    2) LIFO
    3) average cost
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2008, 12:08 PM
    You have 49 total units available. 19 are left in ending inventory and therefore 30 were sold.

When using FIFO, that means you're using the costs of the ones purchased first. i.e. you sell the 7 @ $104 first, then the 12 @ $103, etc. So if you're selling them in order from the top, which ones must be left over in ending inventory?

The same works for LIFO, except it's the opposite. You're selling starting with the last purchase, so you first sell the 11 @ $107, then the 19, etc. So if you're selling in order from the top, again, which ones must be left over in ending inventory.

For average, you need to average all 49 of them. i.e. it's not just take four prices, adding them and dividing by 4. Because you don't have one of each price. You only have 7 at $104, but you have 19 at $105... so the 19 counts more into the average. This would like if you listed $104 seven times, then $103 twelve times, added them all and divided by the 49 total. But the fast way is:
    7 x $104 = $428
    12 x $103 =?

Etc. This way you account for all 49 of them. You take the total prices and divide by 49 items to get an average. Once you have the average, you can figure out the cost of the 19 in ending inventory.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lifo/fifo using periodic system [ 1 Answers ]

The company uses the periodic system, and there were 15 units in inventory at the end of the period. Can someone please determine the costs of 15 units in the inventory by each of the following methods, presenting details in your computations (a) first-in, first out and (b) last-in, first-out.

Periodic Inventory, FIFO and LIFO [ 0 Answers ]

Details regarding the inventory of appliances at Aug. 1, 2007, purchases invoices during the year, and the inventory count at July 31, 2008 are summarized as follows: Purchases Invoices Model Inventory Aug. 1 1st 2nd ...

Avg Cost,Fifo,Lifo [ 3 Answers ]

During the first quarter of 20xx, Taube Company sold 12,000 cases of Product T for $120,000. Facts related to its beginning inventory and purchases are as follows: For the quarter ended March 31, 20xx, compute the ending inventory, cost of goods sold, and gross profit under three methods: (a)...

Perpetual LIFO, FIFO, moving average cost [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: I have an exam in my acct class, ugh... so lost!! I thought I had this all clear but I have done this problem multiple times and can't end up with our designated answer, can someone help? Any help on any part of the problem would help me out a lot, very lost :( Smith is a retailer in...

View more questions Search