Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jd165mower Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2008, 07:01 AM
    Deere LX176, kohler 14hp. Won't turnover?
    I have a John Deere LX176 with a kohler 14hp engine. Upon trying to start, it acted like a dead battery with indicator lights, then won't do anything. I checked fuses, cleaned terminials,checked wiring for connections or shorts, tried to jump start, still no indicator lights or engine turnover. What can it be?
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2008, 07:13 PM
    Have you had the battery off the unit? I have had folks put the cables back on incorrectly, and yes it can happen. Have you had the battery tested with a load tester? Have you checked the ground to the units frame from the battery?
    Deere265Mower Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2008, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jd165mower
    I have a John Deere LX176 with a kohler 14hp engine. Upon trying to start, it acted like a dead battery with indicator lights, then won't do anything. I checked fuses, cleaned terminials,checked wiring for connections or shorts, tryed to jump start, still no indicator lights or engine turnover. What can it be?
    It isn't the battery. The engine turns over great witout jumping, as long as I jump the solenoid, but it will do nothing with the key. Could it be a safety switch involving the deck? I can't find one. Where would it be?
    Brybug Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2008, 09:01 PM
    I have the same model with the same problem. Just found tonight, before it got dark, that the 2 large brown wires in the 3 wire connector by the starter are only have 9.4v with 12.6v elsewhere. I'll be looking for an electrical scamatic on this mower tomorrow, but feel this is likely due to high resistance in a corroded connector. These wires look to come from an aluminum solid state device under dash (an igniter ?). What ever it is has 12.6v coming in and only 9.4v coming out.
    Brybug
    Deere265Mower Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 04:03 AM
    I finally found my problem. The small red switch wire connected to the hot battery terminal was covered by the rubber protective cover, while the battery cable was connected correctly, the small switch wire had actually corroded and broken into. Once stripped and reconnected everything was back to normal. I felt like an idiot for spending so much time then "not seeing the forest for the trees.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

14hp kohler [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 14hp kohler engine in a 1980 john deere skid steer, I have put on new batteries but they don't stay charged, I replaced the regulator but still doesn't charge, what could I do next thanks John

Agway 14HP Lawn Tractor [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on why our lawn tractor won't go forward or reverse. It just all of a sudden stopped. Everything else seems to be running just fine. We can move the lever to forward/neutral/reverse, but nothing happens. Thanks for any info you can give.

B&s 14hp value [ 1 Answers ]

how do you adjust the value on it it hard to start was told to adjust the value the start and battle was OK please HELP!! 1

14hp briggs and stratten motor [ 3 Answers ]

Has two wires from under flywheel red and black and two other wires going behind the starter (not the starter wires) how do I use these wires to get this motor running?

Murray 14hp riding mower [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I've been trying to get my riding mower to work. It has a briggs and straton 14hp engine. It sat for the winter, and obviously battery was dead. I replaced it with a new one and it ran great. I let it sit about 3 hours and the battery didn't have enough juice to start it. The lights were not...

View more questions Search