Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bairz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2006, 11:20 AM
    Venting radon
    Can radon just be vented out the roof just like a soil stack vent with out use of a power fan? Any comments are welcome Thanks for your time
    dmrlook Posts: 134, Reputation: 8

Feb 4, 2006, 11:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bairz
    Can radon just be vented out the roof just like a soil stack vent with out use of a power fan? Any comments are welcome Thanks for your time
    I would say probably not. A true radon venting system has a porus bulb that is placed underneath the basement slab. Then, the bulb is connected to PVC piping (typically 3 or 4 inches) that goes up through the house and out the roof. A fan is required in the system to create a negative pressure in the bulb that is under the basement slab. The negative pressure gives the radon gas an easy escape route (it takes the path of least resistance) into the radon system and out through the roof. Without the fan, I don't think the radon would have any reall pull towards the vent, and therefore would still seep through the foundation/slab and into the house.

Hope this helps!
    Rob
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 4, 2006, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bairz
    Continuous fans are used on radon vents to insure the movement of air out the vent. Without a fan the vent would not be nearly as effective.
    Let me give you a alterative to installing a radon vent, Click on,
    http://www.radonseal.com/radon-mitigation.htm
    Good luck, tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2006, 12:32 PM
    Trust Tom. Radon is actually heavier than air and is forced up into the house. If it didn't mix with the air, it would actually sink. Only a powered vent will keep the EPA happy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Could radon gas get into furnace? [ 1 Answers ]

We have not checked for radon but it is bad in our area. We have a crawl space in the basement and I'm wondering if radon gas could come from the CS and possibly get into the furnace and cause a crack in the heat exchanger? Any ideas at all as to why a heat exchanger would crack in a 2 year old...

Venting [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , In the basement , there is a mechanical vent on a bathtub wich tells me its not vented by the main stack. Could the tub be changed to a shower stall. Also wich size drain should the shower stall be?

Venting bathroom exhaust into radon pipe [ 3 Answers ]

We are building a second floor bathroom over a first floor bathroom. We are draining (and venting) the fixtures into the vent for first floor fixtures (creating a wet stack, which I understand may not be to code, but will function properly?). Question: we will also have an exhaust fan over the...

Venting Thanks [ 7 Answers ]

Spent last 3 hrs reading threads, trying to answer my questions. Thank you for this site! I am working on new construction. I would like to confirm some things I think I learned on this site. Please answer T/F. If False please fix me. 1 every fixture w/trap needs vented. EX tub lav toilet...

Tub Venting? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I'm rebuilding a 1920's bathroom from the floor joist and studs, the question I have is the 1 1/2" Tub Over Flow ties into the trap which then ties into a 3" stack with a 3x3x1-1/2" Sanitary Tee. Do I need to install a vent in for the tub if the trap is 12" away from the stack? ...

View more questions Search