Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    12stringcanuck Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2008, 04:15 AM
    Is there a time-limit for taking my ex to court?
    Hello,

My ex-wife still owes me money from our separation. We had agreed that she would give me $15,000 (minus any mortgage arrears at that time, which was $2400), and she would take over the mortgage and it (the house) would be put in her name. She gave me $3,000 in Aug/04, I have tried to collect the balance but she refuses to pay, and even denied that she EVER owed me that money in the first place. (I have emails of her denying this)
    I also have a signed separation agreement, signed by her Lawyer, her and myself dated Aug/04, that stipulates all of the above, Is it too late to take her to court for this?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Sincerely
    Down and Out
    Ontario, Canada
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2008, 05:01 AM
    You need a good lawyer asap. I don't know that there is a limit but you need to sit down with a lawyer and go over all your problems.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2008, 05:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 12stringcanuck
    Hello,

My ex-wife still owes me money from our seperation. We had agreed that she would give me $15,000 (minus any mortgage arrears at that time, which was $2400), and she would take over the mortgage and it (the house) would be put in her name. She gave me $3,000 in Aug/04, I have tried to collect the balance but she refuses to pay...
    I also have a signed seperation agreement, signed by her Lawyer, her and myself dated Aug/04, that stipulates all of the above, Is it too late to take her to court for this?
    Sincerely
    Down and Out
    Ontario, Canada
    The separation agreement is usually "incorporated into" the decree of divorce, and has become an order of the court. If this is what has happened in your situation, then she is possibly in contempt of court. You will likely need to file a motion to hold her in contempt and present your facts to a judge. It is probably not too late.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2008, 06:11 AM
    [QUOTE=12stringcanuck]Hello,

My ex-wife still owes me money from our separation. We had agreed that she would give me $15,000 (minus any mortgage arrears at that time, which was $2400), and she would take over the mortgage and it (the house) would be put in her name. She gave me $3,000 in Aug/04, I have tried to collect the balance but she refuses to pay, and even denied that she EVER owed me that money in the first place. (I have emails of her denying this)
    I also have a signed separation agreement, signed by her Lawyer, her and myself dated Aug/04, that stipulates all of the above, Is it too late to take her to court for this?

I'm not sure about Canada but in the US it is NEVER too late to enforce a separation agreement - which should have been incorporated into the divorce.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2008, 06:16 AM
    Hello again - I just read your other post. Perhaps if the posts had been combined you would have received answers that were more clear.

It appears you were back in Court in June 2007 and this whole "you owe me money" subject did not come up. Why didn't you bring it up then? Once Attorneys start challenging you to a fistfight you need to either find another Attorney (and I realize it was your ex-wife's Attorney who set forth the challenge) who will better represent you OR stop bothering the Court.

Sounds like a mess all the way around.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taking a Contractor to court [ 6 Answers ]

I am considering taking a plumber that worked on our house to court and I am not sure if it is worth it or not. I would love some advice on whether I have a case or not and what the likelihood of my being reimbursed might be. Here is the case. 1. hired a plumber to install a piping for a...

Taking my landlord to court [ 3 Answers ]

Novi Michigan If I take my landlord to court and I loose will I have to pay his/her court costs

Creditors taking me to court [ 1 Answers ]

How do I stop a judgement on a bill that is way more than I charged.

Taking ex-landlord to court [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know Texas laws about air-conditioning? We moved into a rental house in July and found out the air conditioner didn't work. We informed the landlord in writing and verbally. Many people came out about the unit and said it needed to be replaced. In the mean time we bought a bunch of...

View more questions Search