Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mysteryperson123 Posts: 125, Reputation: 7

Mar 22, 2008, 02:33 AM
    My rat is wild.
    I got a female rat yesterday and te person who served us when we got her (Who once had two rats of her own) told me to leave her for a day. We did, I tried to pick her up today but I didn't succeed. I have never had a rat before so can anyone give me any tips? Another thing is she stays in a corner (Though I have evidence that she has been other places) and freezes whenever someone looks at her. She doesn't mind me stroking her (probably because I talk to her) but she scampers off when someone else tries to stroke her. I have three questions, 1) Any tips on how to hold her?
    2) Is it normal that she goes still every time there is a human being near?
    3) Why does she let me stroke her and nobody else?

Please answer.

Mar 22, 2008, 03:06 AM
    Here is a picture of her, it may noy be very clear.
    Attached Images

Mar 23, 2008, 09:43 AM
    Please can someone answer, she is really nervous around people and she hasn't eaten anything since we got her on good Friday! Please someone answer/help?
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2008, 10:08 AM
    I think it is natural or you rat to be scared when you first bring it home. Also you bought her form a shop so there is no guarantee that she has been handled when she was a kitten. In future I would suggest finding a breeder, as responsible breeders choose calm and friendly rats to breed from and handle them when they are very young.

Is she on her own are there do you have any other rats? They don't really like to be alone so if she is this might be making her more anxious.

I think it is best to leave her alone for a while then gradually get her used to people being in the room ignoring her. Just get people to walk in, not look at the cage and just move about chatting so she can hear your voice. This way she will hopefully just get used to people being near in a non threatening way. Do this for a couple of days until she doesn't freeze when you walk in.

Then move onto every time you go near the cage giving her food. Therefore she will associate you with good things. I'd do this for a week or two until she isn't nervous about taking the food from your hand.

From there move onto stoking plus food and then light grasping around her midrift as if you are going to pick her up but don't. Another way is to try and get her to put her paws onto your hand and rewarding her, coach her gently onto your palm.

How to hold a rat? They are one of the easier small mammals to hold as they are that little bit more robust, it's pretty much the same as how you would pick up a hamster, except you have to give their bum a bit of support as well. Don't use their tail (ouch!).
    Here is a nice description
    Critters Collection: Rat
    Another good 'trust training' description
    the Rat Report
    More good advice.
    Getting Acquainted with Your New Rats

Why does she like you?
    You have a mouse as well don't you? You probably are just better with small animals than your family! Some people can just get along better with animals. I think it is down to patience and calmness.

Hope this helps :)

Mar 25, 2008, 08:46 AM
    I get along better with animals than I do people. I have two mice and a hamster as well as my new rat. She is on her own and I did ask my Mum if I could get another one to keep her company, my Mum said no. I have held her a bit and she is OK with people. I am just worried about her not eating hardly anything and she has drank hardly anything. Would it be a good idea to get her a friend or is it too late to introduce a friend for her?

Mar 27, 2008, 10:30 AM
    We got her a friend and she is happier. She will come running to me now and her sister (Who I named Lady Schloer (Pronounced Shlurr)) is very tame and has been 'teaching Skitter some manners'.

Apr 1, 2008, 08:56 AM
    Here is a picture of her with her friend. Lady Schloer is the lighter one, Skitter is the darker one.
    Attached Images

templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2008, 12:14 PM
    Aww so cute! Thanks for the photos. :)

Apr 2, 2008, 09:22 AM
    Lady Schloer is also known as Spider-rat. She walks on the ceiling if she wants to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Wild, wild west. [ 3 Answers ]

A cowboy rode into town and stopped at a saloon for a drink. Unfortunately, the locals had a habit of picking on strangers. So when he finished his drink, he found his horse had been stolen. He went back into the bar, handily flipped his gun into the air, caught it above his head and fired a shot...

Co-worker a rat? [ 29 Answers ]

For his own sake, I won't say his name, but he is a retired corrections officer, now working as a security officer with me. No, I'm not his boss, I'm just someone who works with him, he and I are more or less at the same level in terms of "authority" on the job. Any way, one day, I went on the...

Rat Troubles [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All! I live in a condominium village where all the units are connected. The units are individually owned and my mother and I live in two separate units side by side. Today my dogs discovered rats inside the under belly of my electric grill. The grill has been covered with a black grill...

View more questions Search