Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Daemon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2008, 02:28 AM
    Parents in debt, can credit card company seize son's assets?
    My parents have some outstanding debt (right around $33,000) on a mastercard. Today my father seems to have just found out about it and called the company today. He basically told them to accept $30,000 immediately or sue. Now my question, my truck was purchased with my money, I can prove this, but it was transferred into my parents name for insurance purposes. If the credit card company decides to file suit against my parents, can they seize my truck? Is it possible to transfer ownership before suit is filed and avoid it being targeted?

Thanks, J
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 22, 2008, 04:14 AM
    Yes if it is in their name, they could put a lien on it ( if that is allowed in your state) since it is in their name. If you transfer it back to your name, be sure to have proof it was YOUR money that paid for it.

Also your dad has 30,000 to pay the credit card company??

If he could pay them that much I could not believe they would not settle, since often on a date that is behind a few months they will settle for 80 percent of the debt often.
    Daemon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2008, 10:04 PM
    Thank you for your response Fr_Chuck,

They seem the be trying to do a balancing act and to correct myself they are wanting to pay off the majority of the 30k and work off the rest but at a lesser interest rate (the rate now is 20%). Im not sure what's going to happen, but I'm just trying to advise him not to play chicken with a train if you get my drift.

In Texas I'm not sure what the laws are, but I know you can bestow a vehicle as a gift fairly easy and with a bit of haste.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 22, 2008, 10:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon
    My parents have some outstanding debt (right around $33,000) on a mastercard. Today my father seems to have just found out about it and called the company today. He basically told them to accept $30,000 immediately or sue. Now my question, my truck was purchased with my money, I can prove this, but it was transferred into my parents name for insurance purposes. If the credit card company decides to file suit against my parents, can they seize my truck? Is it possible to transfer ownership before suit is filed and avoid it being targeted?

Thanks, J
    I would guess the credit card company would jump at the chance to get $30K. Like FrChuck said, they would have taken less. I don't think your truck is in jeopardy (if it's not part of that $30K), but get it transferred back into your name until this situation has been resolved. Report the change to the insurance company, or don't plan to have an accident.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I validate a debt after being served with a lawsuit from a credit card company? [ 11 Answers ]

I am being sued by Capital One bank because I defaulted on a credit card. I have received intermittant letters from different collection agencies regarding this account. I didn't know anything about validation of debt. Anyway, my husband got a call from a collection agency saying they were...

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

How long after debt can a company seize your bank account? [ 3 Answers ]

My Parents had their bank account seized yesterday. They think that it is an old debt from over 20 years ago. They think that it was a car that my Grandfather co signed for. Even though they have nothing to do with the agreement that my Grandfather made, the judgment is against them because my...

College Loan Debt & Credit Card Debt [ 1 Answers ]

Answer Received

Sick elderly parents need help with old credit card debt [ 9 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello there. This is my first question on this website. Hopefully someone is able to guide me. My father is 74 and very ill and my mother is 70 with cancer. They were keeping up on their credit card payments...

View more questions Search