Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mace Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2006, 10:12 AM
    Dvd drive not working
    Hi, my dvd drive is not working, it does not show up on my computer or device manager. So I figured it mite be the dvd drive, so I've bought a new one and still it doesn't show up. Any ideas?
    Help please.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Feb 4, 2006, 08:48 PM
    Whenever you are installing new drives into your computer, you always want to check your system's BIOS to ensure they are detected properly by the system hardware.

In your BIOS should should see the drives that are connected. If you can't see the drive in the BIOS, you should go back and check the cable and power connections to the drive.

Once it is showing up in the BIOS properly, you should be able to boot into Windows and see the drive be setup automatically... or at least once you see it in the Device Manager you can eliminate the above as the problem.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2006, 08:37 AM
    Hi, Mace,
    Here is another option, if you wish to try it, and if you have XP.

This method requires Editing the Registry. Be Careful if you do this, your computer might not reboot, if you make a mistake.
    First, shut down the computer, then re-boot. This creates a good working Registry, which you can load later, on the first re-boot, if problems, by using "Last known good configuration".
    Then, go to Start / Run , and type in REGEDIT and click on OK.
    In that window with be the Registry. Click on the + sign to the left of:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Then keep clicking on the + sign to the left of each of these:
    SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Class
    In the folder Class, left click on:
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    On the right hand side, under Value, you want to Right click on UpperFilters, then delete the Value Data. Then do the same for LowerFilters. Do NOT delete the key or the Multi-String Values, just delete the data values.
    At the top, click on File, then Exit.
    Re-boot the computer, and hopefully it will find the drive.
    The above info from:
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/restore_..._dvd_drive.htm
    I do wish you the best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Working on opt [ 1 Answers ]

I am an F1 student on my OPT. I just got a job offer and they want me to work as a contractor for a while i.e. on 1099. Can I do that?

Dvd Drive Not Working [ 5 Answers ]

This is my first time to ask a question online like this, but I am tired of the tech support emails and phone chats. Anyway, I am running XP Home and suddenly my dvd drive quit on me. It worked fine 3 days ago and now it doing nothing. I have a JLMS DVD-ROM LTD163D. I put a disc in and the light on...

DVD Drive not working [ 4 Answers ]

My DVD Drive is not working.I've checked in the device manager & it is not recognised.I'm unsure of the type. Thanks in advance for any help Dale

Modems on one drive not on other drive [ 3 Answers ]

Help I have a compaq 501OUS pent 3 win ME. I have a 2 gig hardrive I have no problem going on line, when I took my 2gig hardrive out and put a 40gig hardrive in my moden won't respond, I have reinstall the modem(US Robotics PCI Faxmodem includes V.92 and V.90 ITU standard technologies) physycly...

View more questions Search