Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MARIBE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2008, 04:07 PM
    Boiling potatoes
    Why does my potato salad turn watery after one or two days I boil potatoes cool and cut for salad add dressing and in a couple days have to get rid of it any help is appreciated thanks
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 21, 2008, 04:22 PM
    If you add onion and celery, they leach juices into the salad. Blanch the vegetables by dropping them (chopped, of course) into the pot with the boiling potatoes for about 30 seconds max and allow then to drain fully along with the potatoes.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2008, 04:38 PM
    I don't remember what receipe I used to use to make potato salad that my husband loved. I hated potato salad and never ate it but he loved it and declared it the best he ever ate. I only started eating potato salad a few years ago... boy did I ever miss out on a good thing. I would boil and cool my potatoes also. That is NOT your problem of why it is watery. The water comes from the dressing that you use. Change your receipe. I wish I had that receipe I used to use. Dang!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2008, 08:04 PM
    Try using
    1 /2 cup mayonnaise
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 tablespoons horseradish
    I hate horseradish but it makes a world of a difference in the taste
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2008, 08:18 PM
    My mom uses baby dill or sweet relish pickles, miracle whip, and a small amount of yellow mustard... very good...

My ex used a dressing recipe passed down from her great grandmother and it was good as well... can't say I ever thought it was real potato salad since it wasn't like my mom made, but anyway the dressing was close to a french dressing as near as I can describe it... The recipe seems to be some closely guarded family secret so they won't share.

It never lasted long enough to get watery.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2008, 02:21 PM
    Forgot --since I haven't made potato salad in a couple years.
    Even when you let the potatoes cool they are still warm on the inside.
    Let them cool and then set them in the fridge for about 10 to 20 minutes to actually chill them before adding any dressings. I noticed that every time I get impatient and add the mayo before they are completely chilled mine melts too.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2008, 04:24 PM
    Do you boil the potatoes with the skins on and remove later. Do you use red potatoes?
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2008, 08:30 PM
    To keep it firm and not so mushy, Here's the recipe I use, I simply boil my potatoes for 15 minutes, they are tender but still kind of firm, And you need to stir it once or twice while in the fridge.

1 1/4 lbs russet potatoes
    1/2 c and slightly more Mayo
    2 tsp sweet pickle relsih
    2 tsp sugar
    1 1/2c chopped onion
    1 1/2 tps prepared mustard
    1/2 tps white wine vinegar
    1 tbsp minced celery
    1/2 tsp shredded carrot
    1/8 tsp parsley
    1/8 tsp pepper
    Salt to taste
    1/2 tsp. pimento or (red pepper, green pepper)mix
    Parsley for topping.

Boil potatoes, 15 minutes, drain, cool and then chop.
    Combine in another bowl, potatoes, mayo, relish, sugar, onion, mustard, vinegar, celery. Pimentos/peppers, carrots, parsley salt and pepper, mix, chill for at least 1 hr.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2008, 09:27 PM
    This is the recipe I use for potato salad; it doesn't have a mayo base, but rather a vinegar and oil one. It's fantastic, and I've never noticed it get watery after a few days (not that it lasts that long... ). The most it needs is a good stir before serving to redistribute the dressing:

3 – lbs red potatoes, boiled and cooled
    1 – bunch green onion, chopped fine
    1 – bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped fine
    ¾ - cup vegetable oil
    3 – tbsp cider vinegar
    3 – tsp lemon juice
    1 – tsp paprika
    ½ - tsp pepper
    Salt to taste

Directions:
    Combine all dry ingredients in small bowl. Shake together wet ingredients and pour over potatoes. Add dry ingredients. Stir to mix. Add salt to taste.

I usually don't measure the dressing ingredients, but just make it to taste. I've converted my entire potato-salad loving family with this new recipe! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Potatoes and dogs. [ 3 Answers ]

Is it truly bad to give a dog a potato? My stepmother says that it is unhealthy because it screws up the iron in their bodies. However, I asked other people, and some say it isn't true. So does it do that?

Freezing potatoes [ 1 Answers ]

Is it OK to freeze freshly peeled raw potatoes?

Potatoes [ 4 Answers ]

Do you add lime to soil for growing potatoes

BBQ Potatoes [ 5 Answers ]

I have been told to put a metal skewer through the jacket potatoes before I bbq them by my moaning father in law... Does this make any difference and if so whyyy!:)

Potatoes in tires [ 3 Answers ]

Anyone ever grow potatoes in tires stacked 4 or 5 high. I read somewhere some time ago that you can start potatoes in the first tire, and as they grow, pile soil up over the tops and they will just keep going until you have a sky high tube of tires totally teaming with tubers. :rolleyes: I...

View more questions Search