Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spannell33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2008, 11:06 AM
    Ceiling fan speeds
    When I turn my ceiling fan on, it will be on the highest speed first, then when I pull the chain to lower the speed to medium, it stays on high, and when I pull the chain again to go to the lowest setting, it still turns on the highest speed, but when I pull the chain for the fourth time, it will shut off. So, when I pull the chain on the fan, it recognizes the different speeds but the motors keeps turning on high until I reach the off settings.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Sounds like the fan switch is kaput. Buy yourself another ceiling fan unless you know how to take the fan apart and replace the switch that's bad.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2008, 09:07 PM
    First of all, ignore the above answer.

What make/model is the fan?

It sounds like a bad capacitor. Easily replaced. See:

Ceiling fan capactors - troubleshooting and resources - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 speed ceiling fan runs on only two speeds [ 5 Answers ]

We have a 3 speed ceiling fan that runs on only two speeds. I have tried replacing the pull chain but that does not fix the problem. The fan use to have high, medium and low. We now have high, low and nothing. Any suggestions.

How does the remote control change fan speeds? [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering how a remote control for a fan changes the speeds of the fan. Does the circuitry in the remote control change the speeds or is there a capacitor in the fan that changes the speeds. If it is a capacitor, I can't figure out how the receiver would be able to make the capacitor work...

Harbor Breeze dual fan different speeds [ 2 Answers ]

I just installed a Harbor Breeze dual ceiling fan (small twin fans mounted either side of light) with remote control. Light works and both fans work on all three speeds, but whichever speed is selected, one fan spins considerably slower than the other, and the slower fan seems to have "drag" and...

Hunter Ceiling Fan Randomly Changing speeds. [ 17 Answers ]

I have a hunter Jackson Square ceiling fan on a wall remote kit that came with the unit. It randomly powers on and off and changes speeds. I have changed the frequency on the remote and receiver multiple times and it still does this. The house was prewired for this when I purchased the house so...

Hampton Bay fan speeds [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay 54" Windward II ceiling fan with remote. It stopped changing fan speeds. It stays on high speed only now and will not go to the two slower speeds. It used to work fine for about a year. Anyone know what's wrong?

View more questions Search