Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mary Klingelberger Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Adding a computer to a network
    In attempting to join a computer with Windows XP Professional to a network, I received the following error message - The user name you typed is the same as the user name you logged in with. That user name has already been tried. A domain controller cannot be found to verify that user name.

The server is Windows 2000. It works for some time but then acts like a workgroup asking for a user name and password to access other computers in the network.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 21, 2008, 07:39 AM
    If this is a server based network. Each computer name on the network has to be unique. In addition, any user name used to logon has to be an established account on the server.

Have you talked to the LAN Admin about this?
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Mar 24, 2008, 10:16 AM
    To join a computer to a domain, you must use a domain user account. You must logon to the computer with local administrator rights.

Also, unless the domain account being used to join the computer to the domain is a domain administrator account, then there is a limit of 10 times that a regular domain user account may be used to join a computer to the domain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not on college network, my computer says it cannot detect wireless network?Belkin [ 2 Answers ]

I took my Dell laptop with me to college and used a cable to hook it up in the dorm. When I came back for the holidays my parents had gotten a new wireless card (BELKIN) for their laptop but said that they didn't change anything else. My computer used to run wireless at this home and my parents...

Networking - adding additional PC to existing network [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have an existing Linksys network set up for two PC's. How do I add laptop to the existing network? Thanks in advance for your help here.

Computer network [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Jawed from kuwait . I have three PC with windows 98 and having one hub , how I will connect each other. I want to see one computer to view all other directory but other are not allowed . How I can do this

Adding a laptop wirelessly to a network [ 9 Answers ]

I have three computers in my house that are all connected to a network through a lynksys router. This is not a wireless router, they all have ethernet cables connected to the router. My girlfriend has a brand new dell laptop with a wireless network adapter and it also came with a wireless router....

Three computer network [ 5 Answers ]

Iam attempting to create a three desktop computer home network I may also wish to tie in a laptop here and there All the computers have an N.I.C. Can they be daisey chained on one bus,or do they have to be star configured through a Hub or a switch I have the longest wire run at Fifty feet,can...

View more questions Search