Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sidi Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2008, 07:07 AM
    Security while using internet
    Is it possible to locate and trace the exact address of other person during chating or using net?like through cell phone s we can locate the person s exact position. Is there any teachnology or agency which can tell complete adrress and location of any person that is using cable net?I hope I have convyed my message properly.
    Waiting for answer
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2008, 07:55 AM
    With today's technology anything like you described is truly possible. It can be done but only by the proper authorities. That's how they catch the computer hackers. The hackers must stay online connected to the site for so many minutes though before they are located.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2008, 08:12 AM
    Hello s:

Yes, there is software that will do that. So, if you've been doing stuff you shouldn't be doing, the cops can find you easy...

Twink seems to think only the cops have this ability. I don't share that belief.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 21, 2008, 08:19 AM
    Actually you are all incorrect. I think you guys may have been watching too many spy movies.

First, while the cell phone tower that a call originated from can be located, you can't pinpoint the actual address. If the phone is equippede with GPS tracking then the address can be pinpointed, but not everyone can do either. Only the carrier or certain governmental agencies can do it.

As to tracking someone over the Internet, The closest anyone can get to them is the ISP that issued their IP address. To get any closer would require direct access to the ISP's network architecture and, as far as I know that doesn't happen at least not in the US.
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2008, 10:51 AM
    I know for a fact that over in Russia when a computer nerd hacker hacked into a top classified site and was having fun looking at all the classified files on the site, Section 9 came to his home and arrested him. He is a 9 year old genius. Section 9 over there is just a tad higher than our FBI. So how do you explain that Scott? Watching too many movies? I don't think so. How do they catch hackers over here?

Mar 21, 2008, 11:49 AM
    The thing you are missing is that everything is state controlled in Russia. Sure if someone has to connect to a government controlled network, that government can trace it. If I tried to hack into Cablevision's servers, they would be able to trace me. But if I tried to hack into Verizon's servers from a Cablevision node, then Verizon would have to get a court order for cablevision to release the person assigned that IP. If that 9 year old (not much of a genius if he got caught), tried to hack into a US server, they could only trace him back to the Russian government and then would need the cooperation of the russians to track him further. That's assuming the story is true and not some urban legend. Hard to imagine the Russian government admitting they had been hacked.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 21, 2008, 01:59 PM
    Please refer to this thread for a more indepth discussion of this subject and you'll understand why Scott is correct.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/intern...-me-17262.html
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2008, 04:18 PM
    The 9 year old is a real person.

Mar 21, 2008, 06:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    The 9 year old is a real person.
    And you know this how?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AVG 7.5 internet security [ 8 Answers ]

I have AVG and it says under spyware that I have 26 potentially unwanted programs, but it doesn't give me the option to heal the problems. I don't know whether to delete or leave them and also I don't know if its hurting my computer. But under status it says infected... someone HELP!!

Norton Internet Security [ 2 Answers ]

Hi guys Please help me I have recently installed Norton Internet Security 2005 onto my XP machine. I have created a situation whereby I am still the administrator but have changed my name to dad. This now means I can't log off as dad and log back on as administrator. I have tried creating a new...

Security of database on the internet [ 2 Answers ]

What are the extra security features which should be incorporated for an internet base database system?

View more questions Search