Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rr man Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2008, 09:38 PM
    Ammonium nitrate vs ammonium sulfate?
    Hi, I am going to try growing tomatoes in bales of wheat straw. I've been told I should use some ammonium nitrate to hasten the decomposition of the wheat straw. However, I am having trouble finding any ammonium nitrate. But I do have some ammonium sulfate already. I was just wondering if the sulfate would have similar effect as the nitrate.
    Benjimeister Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

Mar 20, 2008, 10:17 PM
    They're definitely both used as fertilizer, and they break down and have similar effects. High nitrogen, while lowering the pH of the soil. Ammonium nitrate is harder to find because it's a strong oxidizer and is also used in explosives.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2008, 06:44 AM
    The amonium is what is going to hasten the decomposition of the straw and raise the nitrogen level greatly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is this pill morphine sulfate? [ 2 Answers ]

This pill is brownish purple (maroon?), small, round (and rounded), and is marked 30 on one side and has the (capital) letter "M " inside a square on the other... Thanks

Ph and copper sulfate crystals [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I need to know how different pH solutions affect copper sulfate crystals in water. :confused: I also need to know seven different pH solutions I can use. :D

Ammonium Sulfide 3ml (approx) safe outdoors? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Would 3mL of an Ammonium Sulfide solution be considered unsafe and/or annoying if it were used outside on private property? I live in a city and want to keep my stoop clear of those wanting to use it as a smoking, foul language and vomit stop (yep, cleaned it up last sat). I have an...

Glucosamine sulfate [ 1 Answers ]

p;ease draw formula of glucosamine sulfate

View more questions Search