Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 09:21 PM
    Cocaine has a legit medical use?
    OK, I'm reading about the federal drug act in my textbook. And for schedule II it says that it covers drugs that "have a high potential for abuse, a currently accepted medical use or a medical use with severe restrictions, and a potential for severe psychological or physical dependence. shcedule II drugs unclude opium and its derivatives not listed in schedule I, COCAINE, methadone, PHENYCYCLIDIN (PCP), most AMPHETAMINE preparations..."
    I've never heard of any accepted medical uses for cocaine, PCP, or amphetamines. Has anyone else??
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 09:25 PM
    Most of the time, these drugs, when first introduced to the world, were used in medicine for sedatives, anesthetics, and relaxants. Cocaine was used topically (on the skin) for a local anesthetic and most often toothache cures.
    Benjimeister Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

Mar 20, 2008, 10:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by justcurious55
    ok, i'm reading about the federal drug act in my textbook. and for schedule II it says that it covers drugs that "have a high potential for abuse, a currently accepted medical use or a medical use with severe restrictions, and a potential for severe psychological or physical dependence. shcedule II drugs unclude opium and its derivatives not listed in schedule I, COCAINE, methadone, PHENYCYCLIDIN (PCP), most AMPHETAMINE preparations..."
    i've never heard of any accepted medical uses for cocaine, PCP, or amphetamines. has anyone else???
    Amphetamines are used in the treatment of severe ADD/ADHD. The best known example would be Dysoxin (methamphetamine hydrochloride), the same as the street drug.
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2008, 06:53 AM
    Wow. Thanks to both of you, that's interesting. Do you know if cocaine is still used for that?

Anyone know about pcp?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2008, 07:16 AM
    In the US, cocaine has not been used for medical reasons since 1914. However, there are some reports that certain European countries are still using it for vasoconstriction + local anesthesia.

Just to top it off, here's a picture:
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2008, 07:17 AM
    Cocaine is also used as a topical anesthetic in cases of severe neck and head trauma/surgery (otolaryngology). Although the practice is declining due to cardiac complications.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2008, 07:19 AM
    I believe they still use it for neck trauma in A&E in the UK, but my information could be out of date. I did pharamacology and my med school friend always laughs at how outdated my drug knowledge is.

EDIT not too out of date here is a 2003 survey of UK otorhinolaryngologists
    CJO - Abstract - Current practices of cocaine administration by UK otorhinolaryngologists

There's more

PCP was used as a surgical anesthetic in the first world war but isn't used anymore because of the hallucinogenic side effects.

Another use for amphetamine and it's deriveratives is in weight loss pills such as Adderall. That's why they are so bad for you.

Narcoleptics are also someties perscriped amphetaines, but I don't know the specific types.

There are quiet a few licenced types of amphetaines for a variety of diseases. Sneeze is right though, the licencing varies between countries.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2008, 03:21 PM
    My mother told me that her grandmother back at the turn of the century in 1910 would always have her bottle of cough medicine that was loaded with cocaine. She said that granny just loved her "medicine" and would never be with out a bottle.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2008, 06:59 PM
    A South African friend of mine was treated for nasal polyps with cocaine. This was years ago, and in South Africa, but she said it worked.
    statictable Posts: 436, Reputation: 34

Mar 26, 2008, 09:02 AM
    Cocaine was the secret ingredient used in the production of white wall tires and chrome bumpers and that is why most tires are all black and most bumpers are painted. For many years the term "suck the chrome off a trailer hitch" was thought to be descriptive of certain females but in-fact was an attempt to get to the "secret ingredient."
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2008, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by justcurious55
    cocaine has a legit medical use?
    Hello curious:

The thing is, a product might have a medical use that isn't approved by the government. So, you can't ask that question. It's my belief, that cocaine has a lot of medical benefits that the government wouldn't like.

Course, if you're interested in MEDICAL care instead of LEGAL care, then you'd tell the government to screw itself. I do.

excon
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2008, 01:29 AM
    I read it as current medical use accepted by american dr.'s AND american governent. Since its one of our laws. Otherwise I agree with you that any drug could be argued to have medical benefits. Haha

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spouse and cocaine use [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I suspect my husband of light cocaine use and want to know what rights I have as far as my children are concerned if we pursue divorce.

Is this company legit [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know if this business opportunity is legit, is this company legit. ITP (International Trading Place) Address: ispahan road Killorglin Co. kerry Ireland Website:usitp.co.uk/ Phone#866-644-7820

WinAntiSpyware--Is it legit? [ 2 Answers ]

I was minding my own business surfing the net when suddenly an unsolicited download of something called WinAntiSpyware started. I stopped it immediately, but it put a window on my desktop that's always on top of everything and I can't get rid of it. It says "Attention! Activity by Unknown Process...

Cocaine [ 2 Answers ]

Are there user benefits from the drug crack cocaine? All information would be helpful.

View more questions Search