Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    qwerty789456 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2008, 04:33 PM
    Why don't we get benefits
    I work for a food company that also owns a golf course. The golf course employees are hired and paid by the food company. We have there insurance, and there holiday. There stock is private, and only can be bought by employees, which we can buy. The food company has a 401-k plan, and they get stock given to them based on how much they make. The golf course employees get all benefits except the 401-k, and the free stock. Is this discrimination.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2008, 04:37 PM
    I don't think it would be discrimination because they can give whatever benefits they want.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 20, 2008, 04:55 PM
    Let me see are all of the employees a certain race that don't get it ?
    Are all of them women?

A company does not have to provide any benefit, so you are lucky to have what you do. Since this is a separate company, owned by one company, they don't have to.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2008, 04:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty789456
    Is this discrimination.
    Hello q:

It IS discrimination - the perfectly legal kind.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 21, 2008, 06:31 AM
    If the food company treats all the golf course employees equally then its not discrimination. Apparently the golf course is kept and treated as a separate entity within the food company books. As long as that is done, they can be given different benefit packages.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2008, 06:48 AM
    Hello again:

Discrimination is not illegal. Only SOME types of discrimination are illegal.

To wit: Your employer may not discriminate against any individual based upon his color, race, age, gender, ethnicity, physical impairment, and in some jurisdictions, sexual orientation.

Beyond that, he may discriminate at his pleasure. For example, he could pay the guy right next to you, who does the same job you do, a lot more money. He could do that simply because he likes him better than you.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2008, 07:59 AM
    Benefits are just that - benefits. If the golf course employees get different benefits than the food company employees get - then there is no recourse for discrimination. If golf course employees are not getting the benefits equally - then that's discrimination. A company can choose to give benefits as they see fit to their employees. It's up to them, not the employee what benefits are offered. Just because one company owns the other makes no difference. Sorry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is Methatione and its benefits? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm Benjie and just a new member on this site. I would like to ask about methatione. How would I benefit from it. Are there any pre cautions in taking this pill? Help.Thanks

What are benefits? [ 6 Answers ]

Are there any community benefits that come out of forensic science?:confused:

Swimming benefits [ 4 Answers ]

I have heard swimming is a good form of exercise, can anyone tell me how it helps? What body parts its works on and what I can look out for change wise to my appearance as I have started to swim 3 times a week and do 30 lengths of a relatively large swimming pool. Thanks guys!

Explanation of benefits [ 5 Answers ]

I received my explanation of benefits. The x-ray I had taken were complete paid for by my HMO Medicare.Total Patient Responsibility 0 One x-ray was submitted Charge of $200.00 but the eligible amount was only $35.67 What do they do negotiate over the price? Patient Responsibility was...

View more questions Search