Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blue eyes princess Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2008, 10:02 PM
    Apartment is flooded
    My upstairs neighbor had a pipe break and now my carpet is soaking wet and the landlord is doing nothing about. She said that she would put some stuff on the carpet so that the mold and mildew won't grow. I think that the carpet and the tile in the bathroom and kitchen so be changed. I would like some answers or someone that could help in this matter. Plus I have two small children, and I don't think that they should have to breathe in the mold or mildew smell.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 10:07 PM
    That is an unacceptable living condition and you can withhold your rent until it is fixed, and tell your landlord that if it is not fixed, you have the legal right to withhold rent or break the lease without penalty to you. If he refuses, call a building inspector, who will surely take your side haha.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 10:14 PM
    You have to deal with this within 24 hours or mold will grow very rapidly.

The excess water has to be removed. Carpets shampooed if necessary. Disenfectant need to be applied and fans used to dry the carpet.

Water on walls is particlarly bad, since drywall is mold food. If it gets a hold, the only choice is replace.
    jack dandy Posts: 226, Reputation: 9

Mar 19, 2008, 10:37 PM
    I don't think there is any product that you just sprinkle on to prevent mold, unless it has bleach in it and you would know that because the smell of bleach is pretty distinct. I don't know if there's any magic powder. Id for sure get the water out of the carpet either with wet vacuum or lots of towels and fans. And like KISS said the dry wall is particularly something to worry about it might need to be cut out and replaced unless it is dried immediately and treated with bleach to stop the mold. Also ask her what pipe busted for sanitation reasons. Document everything that goes on with the pipe leak just in case you need to take it to small claims court, Time, things she said what you had to do costs, etc. etc... Good Luck.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 10:39 PM
    Agreed, and take pictures, keep receipts, etc.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2008, 04:48 PM
    Call the local building dept and tell them about the problem pronto. The landlord may have to replace everything that was water damaged. Is there another apt in the same building or complex that you could move to that is empty? If so, you can approach your landlord with that possibility of physically moving your family ASAP. The mold will only get worse and worse and will not just go away with some powder sprinkled. Call the health dept as well and tell them about the problem. The fact you have kids is the ticket here to get things done. Stress the health of your kids and you'll get speedy results from the health dept and building dept. Don't wait until they get horribly sick from the mold.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flooded car [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, everyone, My car a suzuki baleno got flooded in knee deep water. She stalled. I cranked it once while it was still inside water. She won't crank. I had it pushed out and towed to nearest service centre. Car must have been inside water for about 15 minutes. ...

Flooded basement [ 1 Answers ]

We have a split level where the finished lower level windows are at ground level. We flooded during a heavy Noreaster storm (the water was coming up through the foundation) and had to rip out our wall-to-wall carpeting. Before we replace the carpeting, we need to assure this flooding won't happen...

Flooded basement [ 2 Answers ]

We have a split level where the finished lower level windows are at ground level. We flooded during a heavy Noreaster storm (the water was coming up through the foundation) and had to rip out our wall-to-wall carpeting. Before we replace the carpeting, we need to assure this flooding won't happen...

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

View more questions Search