Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Neocortex Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Can a green card holder claim a tax treaty benefit for a fellowship?
    Hi,
    I am a German citizen who came to the US in Dec 2006 on a green card that I won in the diversity lottery. I have been working here as a postdoctoral researcher since January 2007. My only source of income is a fellowship from a german research foundation.
    Can I still claim the tax treaty benefit for the scholarship as a foreign national, even though I am also taxed here as a resident?
    Being confronted with the US tax system for the first time I am a little confused. If the tax treaty does not apply to my case, do I also have to expect a penalty for not having paid estimated taxes on my income during 2007?
    Thank you very much for all your answers in advance!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 21, 2008, 12:07 AM
    Since you have a green card, you can't claim treaty benefit. You must file resident tax return for 2007. You will get standard deduction and exemption deduction and all deductions available to citizens or residents.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I benefit from Tax treaty between US and China? [ 16 Answers ]

Dear Help Desk: I am a postdoc in life sciences. I came here from China in 1999 as a F1 student and now hold H1B visa. Our payroll still files W9 form for me which claims the tax-treaty Article 20(c) - $5000 is tax-free. I am just wondering whether this is correct. Thank you very much.

J1 resident alien - tax treaty - fellowship Germany [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there! I have a question regarding taxation of fellowships. I am German citizen who came to the US in 2005 on a J-1 visa as a research scholar. Between 2005 and 2007 I was paid by a german fellowship and partly by my boss at the university for the time that was not covered by the fellowship....

Can I benefit the India-USA Tax treaty ? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I had come to USA on L1-B visa. I spent around 150days in USA and then went back. My sponsor for L1-B visa is L&T Infotech (USA) but ultimately the salary is borne by Larsen and Toubro Limited the sister company based in INDIA. As per the Tax treaty read in Pub. 901 Pg 7 of 52 which goes... ...

Resident alien student, failed to file W8BEN form, how to claim treaty benefit [ 3 Answers ]

Hey, I am a student from mainland China. 2006 is my sixth year in US as a PhD student and I lost my non-resident status. I bought some stocks in 2006 and failed to file W8BEN form with the stock trading company. It turns out they withhold 28% of the transaction value. I am using Turbo tax...

Tax refund and Treaty benefit [ 1 Answers ]

I am Indian research scholar on J1. I came to US in Aug 2005 and will be returning back to India in April 2007. I have been paying tax ever since I came here and my wife has been working since Jan 2006. She has also been paying her taxes. Does the tax treaty with India allow us to claim a full...

View more questions Search