Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jezickca87 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2008, 01:38 PM
    Dating a military man?
    OK so I have been talking online to this guy I went to high school with.. although at high school we never talk.. when ended up talking via the internet for a few months.. we discussed seeing each other in the near future (he is in the military and at the time he was stationed in japan) so I get a huge surprise he comes back to the states in jan. 08 and we hang out for majority of his leave(which was 26 days) he had to return to japan in feb. since he has returned we have continued talking.. phone.. internet. etc. recently he has asked me to marry him.. he will soon be stationed in Hawaii in aug. he has also asked me to leave and live with him. Now would it be rational for me to leave my current home and live with my new b/f (we do use the g/f and b/f title) overall he has been very sweet and kind to me.. and makes me feel loved. Now, am I letting my current emotion get the best of me? Or could I be true love?
    whyohwhy Posts: 60, Reputation: 8

Mar 20, 2008, 01:54 PM
    Wow... that is hard. I would say... it depends on a few things.

Is the move temporary? 6 months, 1yr?
    Would you be giving up a great job? Could you transfer? Could you easily find the same job in Hawaii? Are you independently rich?
    Could you handle leaving your family/friends for this period? When you first move to an unknown area... depending on your personality... if you are very outgoing, it could be fun and exciting or you may feel incredibly isolated not knowing anyone and not having the ability to meet people easily.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 01:59 PM
    NO! Living with him, implies all sorts of things. 1. How are you going to support yourself in HI? 2. what about sex? 3. what about the chances of pregnancy? 4. What happens if he decides he does not want to be with you any longer? 5. What if you are pregnant or worse get a STD from him? This has bad idea written all over it. IF he really loves you it is marriage or nothing and that means a life time commitment, not just for today.

Mar 20, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jezickca87
    ok so i have been talking online to this guy i went to high school with.. although at high school we never talk.. wen ended up talking via the internet for a few months.. we discussed seeing each other in the near future (he is in the military and at the time he was stationed in japan) so i get a huge surprise he comes back to the states in jan. 08 and we hang out for majority of his leave(which was 26 days) he had to return to japan in feb. since he has returned we have continued talking.. phone.. internet. etc. recently he has asked me to marry him.. he will soon be stationed in Hawaii in aug. he has also asked me to leave and live with him. now would it be rational for me to leave my current home and live with my new b/f (we do use the g/f and b/f title) overall he has been very sweet and kind to me.. and makes me feel loved. now, am i letting my current emotion get the best of me? or could i be true love?
    We discussed this move as temporary.. 3-6 moths.. I would have to give up my job.. I planning to start school in the fall.. but now I donno if I'm going to do that. Independently I am not rich. My b/f says I have nothing to worry about $$ wise and he will take care of me.. I'm excited to move and see what Hawaii is like.. socially I do well, but I donno how I would do living some where completely different... BTW odd thing is that during one conversation with my b/f he said that he wouldn't like me to hang out with or converse with other guys.. then right after stating that he apologized for saying that to me.. and that I am a woman of free will and do as I please.. (now is he really controlling/insecure and trying to cover it up? ) as for the move my family is worried and scared for me moving being that I don't know him only through internet covo.. and while he was physically here during his leave.. by the way I am only 19 and he is 19..

Mar 20, 2008, 02:10 PM
    From what you have said, and based on your ages, I would just go for a visit for a week or two. I wouldn't move there. It is really easy to hide behind a phone and/or computer your true personality flaws (ie - controlling/insecure). If you spend time with him (in person) all of his flaws will be revealed eventually. Take the time to get to know him. He will be back home before you know it.
    topladyj Posts: 323, Reputation: 13

Mar 20, 2008, 02:12 PM
    That is a hard one. I believe he cares. And since you two went to high school together its kind of like you already know each other a bit. However 3 months and he is asking you to marry him that is pretty darn quick I must say. I wouldn't want to leave everything myself. And there are a lot of questions that will arise. But is this what you want? I think if you two really care for each other that much. You can get engaged and just hold off on the date. You can live where you are at now and go visit him often in Hawaii and make sure its something you are down to do before you do it. I wouldn't say it's a good way to meet someone online. However you have more of a chance of talking a lot more and getting to know the person better. But you don't have to decide right now. I would take it a little slower and take a few trips to Hawaii. Good Luck!

Mar 20, 2008, 02:22 PM
    Yea I deep down I feel like we need to know each other better before I make this move, but the only way I'll get to know him is if I move with him for some period.. like I said my family is very concerned.. and I know its cause they want the best for me.. my b/f tells me he wants to be with me and he loves me very much.. but I am concerned about him "falling in love" so fast. He also... has a bit of a temper.. he has never showed or displayed it towards me.. yet I KNOW he haven't been together for very long. Although he treats me right should his temper be of concern later on? I do know that he is a bit insecure ( which he doesn't have to be.. in h/s every girl I knew wanted him) but he doesn't seem to think very highly of himself

Mar 20, 2008, 02:46 PM
    Trust me at 19 I am 22 now don't make any huge moves cause you might kick yourself in the butt later like I am now. I'm sure he has money if he's in the military. So take a few long trips there and stay with him so you get a better idea of how things are going to be. Please get on birth control if your not especially if you are going to go visit and stay with him. After all you aren't sure how things are going to work out. And certainly don't have his kids till you know. Beware for men with tempers they may not show it to you but if living together they very well might.

Mar 20, 2008, 03:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by topladyj
    ...So take a few long trips there and stay with him so you get a better idea of how things are gonna be. Please get on birth control if your not especially if you are gonna go visit and stay with him. After all you aren't sure how things are gonna work out. And certainly don't have his kids till you know. Beware for men with tempers they may not show it to you but if living together they very well might.
    Very true... you don't know someone truly until you live with them. I say take a long visit. You will learn a lot! DON'T MOVE IN!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 20, 2008, 03:13 PM
    Love is not rational, a person can know a person a lot if they are both honest to each other in their talks. This is often the issues with long distance dating, at one point and time one partner will have to make a move to be with the other.

Mar 20, 2008, 03:33 PM
    I do agree with fr_chuck however at 19 and him asking you to marry in at three months. Personally I would take it slow. Chuck is right, however if you are not sure and he does have a temper I would make a few long trips as whyohwhy has said.
    jasmine_rezzag Posts: 191, Reputation: 10

Mar 20, 2008, 06:20 PM
    Both of you are very young,and just know each other for a couple month.As a woman,I think you should take it into consideration seriously,and it would be better to ask your family and best friends for advice!they know you more,they could give you best suggestion...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dating a Married Man [ 7 Answers ]

I have been dating a married man for about five months, nothing is official, but I am falling in love of him. We can only see each other when we escape form our friends and family. Other point is that he just finished to built his house, and he is working also to be elected as reprsentative of...

Military man who used to be my hero [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has left my 2 year old son and I. Not only left the household, but left all of his responsibility to me. Bills, raising of the baby, all household duties etc. We have been having problems financially but he has checked out now completely. I think he is spending time with someone else on...

Dating a married man [ 20 Answers ]

I have been dating a married man for almost 2 years.. I know it was not suppose to get that far but hey it happened.. We both share our daily lives with each other, talk about family and share the same hobbies.. Everything was good in the beginning or course the impressionable stage but things...

Military Man falls in love with a girl in Thailand [ 1 Answers ]

Im in the Marine Corps, I was deployed overseas in Thailand and fell in love with a Thai local we want to get married, but I don't know how it would work and what the proper steps are in an international marriage please help

Divorcing a Military man [ 2 Answers ]

OKay guys... I need some help. My husband is stationed at Camp Lejeune, NC and I am here in Ohio. We are not getting along at all. I told him he needed to let me know what he wanted (why I still don't know) to do, and if he wanted to be with me or not. I know I shouldn't have... but I did! He won't...

View more questions Search