Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sealeshi2008 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2008, 01:12 PM
    Married but worked in different state
    Hi there. My question is I got married by the end of Dec.2007,my husband I filed MFJ for federal tax. I worked in California for the entire 2007. Myhusband worked in FL. Without state tax. How should I file my state tax ? Can I file single on state tax? Or should I file married filing separately. thanks
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 20, 2008, 04:37 PM
    According to the instructions for California's form 540, you can file as single even though you filed as MFJ for your federal return IF your spouse was a non-resident of CA for the entire year and had no income from CA. So I guess the question back to you is: after you got married, where did and your husband you live?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Worked in CA and GA in 2007, state taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am an Indian citizen (F-1 student visa) and non resident alien for tax purposes in state of GA. I earned around $15K in GA and around $15K in CA (over the summer) in FY 2007. I have already finished the federal tax forms by taking into account total income of 2007. Is there any...

Getting married, living in communal wealth state and non communcal wealth state [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. I am getting married in December. I will have been a California resident for 5 months of this year and New Jersey for 7 months. My partner has been in NJ the whole year. He has made significantly more money than me this year, and we are hoping to file a...

Worked in 2 states on H1. W2 shows only employer's state. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have worked in CT From Jan 2006 till Aug, 2006 and then from Sept2006 till date in PA. My employer is based in CT and my pay stubs show tax deduction for CT till date. I have lived in CT ( on lease ) when I was in CT working onsite as a consultant for a company in CT. Now I have...

Lived and worked in different state than spouse [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All, I apologize for the question: it's a complicated situation, and I'm afraid I'll have to pay for professional advice. But, in case somebody could help me, for free... :D , here is the situation: -husband and wife both work and live in MA. -husband gets a job in CT, while wife goes...

View more questions Search