Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scabml Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2008, 11:45 AM
    50hp ac motor
    Can you tell me how many amps would I need out of a 480v transformer to startup a 50 hp AC motor?
    danar Posts: 69, Reputation: 2

Mar 24, 2008, 04:49 AM
    There are many condition to be met in sizing up your transformer to start up a 50hp 3phase ac motor.

1. the starting kva of your motor. (per NEMA code Letter Designation)
    2. the voltage sag during motor starting should satisfy the 10% drop requirement.
    3. the selection of starter (FVS- full Votage Satrater, RVS- reduce Voltage Starter)
    4. the transformer must be sized to its short circuit capability
    Jithendran Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2008, 05:13 AM
    I can understand from your question that the transformer output is 3 Phase of 480 V.You have to connect an motor of 50 Hp to the same source.
    Now I shall suggest you to check the motor characteristic curve which tell you the motor performance under load condition,Based on this you can choose the rating of the fuse & starter type .Typically for 50 Hp motor the fuse shall be 100A.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Change 4 wire condenser motor to 3 wire motor [ 4 Answers ]

I need TO know how to wire a condenser motor. The one I am taking out is a 230 volt it has 2 brown capacitor wires and a black and white. The one I want to put in is a 230 volt/5 mfd capacitor motor. This one has a red wire a black wire and only one brown capacitor wire. How do I retrofit this....

Ok now the motor went out again! [ 1 Answers ]

OK I put the capasitor in. and now it starts on its own. Were is before I had to give it a push but, it runs for a couple hours and goes out. I ran down this last time and the motor was cool as a cucumber. Now what? Thanks... is a 15 year old carrier.

1984 50hp outboard motor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm having trouble getting fuel to the cylinders. It started with a bad brain box, then the triggering coil went bad. Before they went bad it ran great. Now I have excellent fire to all plugs and excellent compression on each cylinder. Cleaned the carburetors they were spotless . Tried different...

GE motor [ 1 Answers ]

I have a GE motor that I believe is from an old washer. It has 5 wires. Black to white is 0 ohms, red to white or red to black is 3.9 ohms, yellow to blue is 2.0 ohms. There appears to be "no" centrifugal switch, so I don't think it's a capacitor start but with all the wires I think it might be a...

1984 Mercury Outboard 4 Cylinder 50HP problem [ 0 Answers ]

Ok,the motor idles good but when you try to get to full throttle the boat is hard to come out of the water and will not plane off like it used to. It seems like it will not hit full rpm's. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

View more questions Search