Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    endorn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2008, 05:58 AM
    401k Matching
    I have a questions regarding matching of 401k. I work for a hospital that was managed by one company until August 31 of last year. That company had a policy that they would only match the 401K one time a year in March the following year, but only if you were employed by that company on Dec 31. I am still employed at the hospital, but they are now managed by another company. Is it legal for the first company to hold the matching, just because their contract ran out and the owner of the hospital found another managing company?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2008, 08:11 AM
    Hello e:

It's not so simple. It really depends on HOW the new company assumed management, and the details of their agreement.

If the hospital let them write a contract that said they could repudiate the previous holders agreements with their employees, then you've got a beef with the hospital.

If, however, the new holder IS required to adhere to the previous promises, then you've got a beef with them.

I'd do some more investigating.

excon
    endorn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2008, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by endorn
    I have a questions regarding matching of 401k. I work for a hospital that was managed by one company until August 31 of last year. That company had a policy that they would only match the 401K one time a year in March the following year, but only if you were employed by that company on Dec 31. I am still employed at the hospital, but they are now managed by another company. Is it legal for the first company to hold the matching, just because their contract ran out and the owner of the hospital found another managing company?
    The new company has their own 401K which they match with every paycheck.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2008, 09:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by endorn
    The new company has their own 401K which they match with every paycheck.
    Hello again, e:

Ok...

That doesn't tell me anything. If you think you're being cheated, find out WHO is doing the cheating and go after 'em! If it's too much trouble, then move on.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Matching revenues and expenses [ 4 Answers ]

The concept of matching revenues and expenses refers to what?

Matching ceiling texture [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I had to cut out a portion of my ceiling due to water damage and I am now trying to match the texture. I know it is kind of hard to figure out without a picture, but here is a description: It definitely looks to have been done by hand with drywall compound and without paint. It has a rough...

Employer 401K Matching Error [ 1 Answers ]

My wife recently resigned her position at a local bank. She has processed a 401K roll over request to her past employer. The bank VP presented her with a letter stating the bank had over-matched her 401K contributions in error for a period of 4 plus years in the total amount of 4,241.23. The bank...

Zodiac matching [ 63 Answers ]

Just a topic off the serious matters for a change ;-) I was never really into zodiac stuff until about 5 years ago when I met an indian friend who told me that in India most marriages are arranged by matching signs, like water and water, fire and fire etc. Back then I was seeing an Aries and...

Matching A/C units [ 7 Answers ]

Do I have to match the outside unite with the inside unite? I have a Rudd sys. Right now the heat pump outside is gone out. Do I have to replace with the same brand or can I go with an other brand? I'm in Dallas/Ft. Worth Tx. Do I need to go back with Heat pump or can I just go back with a a/c...

View more questions Search