Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    34ral Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2008, 08:37 PM
    Move on or Stay put?
    The situation:
    I am a 26 year old graduate student. I've been dating my SO (also 26 yo grad student) for about 4 years (with an additional 3 years of off and on before that). In the past, we've done the long distance thing, as well as live together. We live in the same city, but in different apartments now. I've spent tons of time with his family and he with mine. All but a handful of my friends from high school are married (most with kids). My friends from college are single just starting to get engaged. My friends from grad school are all in long term relationships/engaged/married. He has very few married/engaged friends.

Here's the deal: I've reached a point in my life where I want to feel settled. I want to get married and start a family or at least know that this is part of our plan. He can't/won't tell me that. He gets angry when I talk about my future kids, home, and life. He refuses to talk about our future together. It makes him uncomfortable. He's said before that he doesn't want to commit because he might make a mistake and he doesn't want to hurt me. His parents were also married to other before they met one another. His dad always told him not to get married too early because people change.

We are going to be apart for about 3 months this summer. He's looking forward to something different. He's a bit of a homebody and has spent the last semester watching TV and playing video games. (He seems to project his frustration with his social life on our relationship.) I'm hoping that he has a good time and feels less dependent on me. I'm also hoping that the time apart helps him understand what he wants from our relationship.

I just want to know that we are headed towards marriage and family. Otherwise, I may be wasting my time. Should I give him an ultimatum or wait it out?

Any thoughts?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 19, 2008, 10:27 PM
    He isn't ready, so your wasting your time waiting for him. He can't even talk about it. That you have been through a lot, and not developed communication, or the willingness to work together, makes this very doubtful. Sorry, I don't see it, and neither do you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stay or Move? [ 14 Answers ]

I've been dating my boyfriend for a little over a year. He bought a house in November and we moved in together in December. We didn't do this for our relationship, it was more along the lines of him "striking while the iron is hot" and purchasing a house because he could. I moved in to ease the...

Try and stay or move on [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I have only been married for one year and in that year of being in the same house with him I am seeing and finding out things about him that not only bothers me but scars me. Ever since we have had to share responsibility he lies about everything; like making the house payment to...

Stay with girlfriend or move on! [ 5 Answers ]

OK I have been dating a girl for about 10 years now on and off. We were actually engaged At one point and than broke up. We are also living together right now. Anyway I met this girl through family. I really liked her a lot. She was really pretty, smart, and nice. She started emailing me without...

Icons on the desk top won't stay put [ 9 Answers ]

I have windows XP service pack 2. I want my desk top icons to stay where I put them. When I restart the computers they go back to the left. I do not have lock to desk top or align to grid checked.

My music won't stay put [ 5 Answers ]

I have all of my albums on my hard drive and I like to have all the songs in one folder and to categorise them my own way. But for some reason I don't know, every so often some of the music will jump back into folders called '<album title>', which are inside folders called '<artist's name>' Can...

View more questions Search