Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cokeham80 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2008, 06:04 PM
    Water marks
    How do I get a water mark off a piece of light oak furniture.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 07:24 PM
    I checked many sites -- but decided to post this one

Removing Water Marks from Wood Furniture
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 07:39 PM
    You can try mayonaise.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2008, 02:03 AM
    I haven't seen what it is that you have to work on. So, I don't really know how bad the watermark is in relation to the finish. Nor, do I know what kind of finish it is that you are working with. It would be helpful to know those things in order to provide for you the best answers here.

But, the first thing that I usually try with watermarks on whatever kind of clear finish, if that is what you have, is #0000 steel wool lubricated with water or mineral spirits, rubbing very lightly in the direction of the grain. If the watermark is really deep, then you might have to sand lightly with a 240+ grit of abrasive (sand) paper. Whatever you do, you can wipe things off with a high-quality paper towel or clean, soft cloths.

In either case of using the steel wool and/or the abrasive paper, you may end up having to touch up the finish with a low-solids lacquer such as Deft, or a paste wax of some kind.

Again, it would be helpful to know what kind of finish it is that you have on the furniture, and how bad the watermark is, please.
    jack dandy Posts: 226, Reputation: 9

Mar 20, 2008, 02:09 PM
    Murphy's oil soap, I think that's what its called? Put it on let it sit for a while then work the spot with your fingers as not to scratch the wood, it worked for me on my grandmas old cedar chest, and the after its cleaned give it a good coating with lemon oil for wood to refurbish the woods finish. Have A Great Day!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2008, 05:50 PM
    If it's a black spot than oxalic acid or Zud cleanser (It's Oxalic acid) will work very nicely.
    bugzy2008 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2008, 08:58 PM
    Putting table salt (kind we use in our saltshakers) on water stains helps , then wipe with dry cloth and polish...
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 5, 2008, 09:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bugzy2008
    putting table salt (kind we use in our saltshakers) on water stains helps , then wipe with dry cloth and polish ...
    Do you mean putting dry table salt on the stains? How long do you wait before wiping with a dry cloth and then polishing? I have not heard of using ordinary table salt for water stains before this. But, I'm always glad to be learning something new!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marks could end it all [ 4 Answers ]

Hey, please could you answer this simple question: If you were a lad and a your girlfriend you thought was perfect told you she had stretch marks on her breasts and legs would you laugh at her and run a mile and tell all your mates? Please help me, I want to know lads opinions on stretch marks

Marks on skin [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a lot of childhood marks and burns on my arm, face and everywhere, I am 15, please can you tell me how I can get rid of them? Please I need an answer, id be really grateful!! Hurry plez

Stretch marks [ 3 Answers ]

Hi every one, please if you have any advices on how I could get rid of my stretch marks on my mid calf. I've had them since I was 15yrs though I didn't gain weight dramatically it was only few pounds I put on, and now I weigh 53kg only. Tried many products and creams nothing worked, and lately I...

Stretch marks:S uh oh [ 5 Answers ]

Umm, do stretch maeks on you're thies go away if you lose weight on them, I'm still young so I'm wondering.

Help pimple marks... [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a problem I have pimples in my body I just donīt know how to get rid of it I am afraid to wear bikinis because of the marks I have them in my back and my thighs please tell me what to use to get rid of it ?

View more questions Search