Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msanche7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2006, 02:38 PM
    Ceiling fan too noisy
    I installed a ceiling fan with the toggle dimmer to slow down the fan blade and now the fan motor is too noisy, what can I do to quiet it down.

Tony
    extreme42583 Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Feb 3, 2006, 10:13 PM
    I am not sure you can do anything, refer to company that made it... good luck!!
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Feb 4, 2006, 08:02 AM
    There is nothing you can do to quiet the motor. Are you sure it's the motor and not some vibration on the fan unit itself? A noisy motor may stem from the use of the "toggle" type control. These are made for lights, not motors. If you need a speed control use one made for fans as suggested by TKRUSSELL in his response to your first post. Also, as I posted previously the problem may in the fan switch. My post to your original ques-

"It sounds like the switch may be bad. Does the sound of the motor speed up/slow down when the switch is changed to any of the three speed positions? If it does that will indicate that the switch is working, though maybe not properly. On every fan I've installed the low speed was "low"-you could easily see the blades and on every fan I could stop the blades at low speed with my hand without getting hurt- but that's just me, wouldn't recommend you try that.

What brand of fan is it-Hampton Bay or some no name brand? When it comes to fans the old adage-you get what you pay for-really holds true.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2006, 08:52 AM
    You mention "dimmer", be sure the "dimmer" is rated to act as a motor speed control, as noted by Shader, and this may be a reason the fan is noisy.

The noise may be vibration created in the motor windings, caused by improper speed control, and the noise is being amplified by the fan blades, light kit, and other items on the fan unit that is attached by screws that may need tightening. Or the vibration is being amplified by the sheetmetal parts, or any combination.

Check the dimmer is rated for motors, tighten all screws, nuts bolts, check if any parts are loose. Many times the noise comes from the screws that hold the glass globes, which cannot be tighten too tight for fear of cracking the glass.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2006, 07:20 PM
    It sounds like you're not using a proper control for the fan. Replace the variable speed "dimmer" with a 3 or 4 speed "stepped" control that uses capacitors. If the fan isn't silent then, check back.

For ceiling fan troubleshooting, including noisy fans, check:
    http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...ng-and-FAQ.php

And there's a section here specifically about controls:
    http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/ceiling-fan-faq.php
    fanman9952 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Apr 24, 2012, 12:11 PM
    I agree with ceilingfanrepair. You shouldn't use a dimmer on a ceiling fan. Also, you have a store brand fan which usually uses lower end parts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hamton Bay Fan - Noisy [ 2 Answers ]

The remote control works fine. My problem is a pulsing noise which is loud on high speed and less on each of the other speeds. The blades remain constant on which ever speed that is chosen. I'm looking to find the cause of the pulsing noise. Is it the receiving unit for the remote? Thanks

Noisy pipes [ 2 Answers ]

Whenever I turn on my water the water pipes make a loud noise. What could it be?

New A/C noisy when running [ 1 Answers ]

I just recently installed a new central a/c. When the compressor kicks on, there is a high-pitched sound coming through the a coil. With just the fan on or the furnace, this noise is not present. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. P.S. The installer isn't sure what it is either

Noisy central a/c outside fan [ 1 Answers ]

The outside fan on the compressor and coil unit has suddenly become very noisy and the fan is going very fast. I called Sears for service as it is on a prepaid maintenance contract but they can't come for 8 days. I have turned it off so no a/c. Is it OK to turn it on as it will be fairly hot in...

Noisy Drainage [ 1 Answers ]

Have begun hearing quite noticeable "cracking" sounds in the walls behind upstairs bathroom whenever water drains from sink or shower (but not toilet). I thought it might be a problem with the water lines and wall studs but have ruled this out by filling sink/tub with stoppers in place. Noise...

View more questions Search