Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TitaniumG Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2008, 05:27 PM
    What is the true history of the Trinity.
    In dealing with the trinity there are certain sources that say that the Roman Catholic church invented the belief in the trinity during a specific council.I want to have reliable proof.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 19, 2008, 07:41 PM
    No, the Church council, it was all the chiristians of all the various parts of the Church, there the Bishop of Rome was one of them, but he was only one of the many Bishops at the Coucils.

The Church Councils settled issues of teachings, which was the role of the Coucils, ( remember the Bishops of the various groups were the ones conisdered to be the replacements of the original Apostles.
    And just as they meet and decided things for the Church, in the early Church for the first 800 years, the early church had the Bishops of the major Churches meet and decide many things.

The early councils decided what books are in the bible,
    The set up the Apostles Creed and the other creeds of the church, still used in many churches.

And the issue of the Trinity was also finalised there also. The majority of all the church believed in it, but there was no formal doctrine at the time, and this was an issued settled then.
    So it was not the Roman Church, since their Bishop was merely one of many who was at the Councils that decided all of this.

For example the Orthodox Church still teaches they were the head of these early councils, remember the church of the east ( orthodox) and the church of the west ( Rome) were not divided at this time
    COUNCILS OF THE CHURCH | Antiochian.org

MAJOR COUNCILS OF THE CHURCH: (councils.htm)

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: General Councils
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Padre ;Great response!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

List of scriptures re the trinity [ 6 Answers ]

I do not believe in the trinity but I do notice that some few scriptures like John 1:1 and John 8:58, Titus 2:13, also Justin Martyr's Dialogue with Trypho (Catholic translation) call Jesus God. Yet the overwhelming majority of scripture shows Jesus' subjection to the Father. Is it possible to...

True or Not True about Breast Cancer and plastic bottle water in left a car [ 8 Answers ]

I had this conversation with one of my co-works today regarding Breast Cancer. She told me that you women can get breast cancer by bottle water left in a car. I don't believe it. Is there anyone who can answer this question please?

Trinity [ 28 Answers ]

How do you define the Trinity?

Satire written about the Trinity [ 2 Answers ]

This was posted on another site. Maybe someone here knows? "Several years ago, someone posted a satirical piece about creation. My mind not being what it once was may not recall exactly, but I think it said something about an evangelist coming to their door one day and their response was...

Is the Trinity composed of three entities? [ 7 Answers ]

I know the Trinity consists of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Or so I've been led to believe. But are they actually three separate physical persons?

View more questions Search