Careera
    What type of careea can I get with advanced math and biology
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2006, 10:03 AM
    Hi, Catting,
    Marine Biology is one career; with more information at:
    http://swfsc.nmfs.noaa.gov/publications/careers.htm

There are many types of careers, and you can do research with your school counselor for more. Best of luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 4, 2006, 10:13 AM
    A degree is just a starting place and funny as it may seem the large majority of people end up latter in life not working in the field of their major.

Many business look for a college degree not a sepcific degree.

So what you need to look at, is not what you can do with a degree in this or that, but what do you want to do, it may require you going back to school for a short time or a long time. With a BS in Biology you may go on to nursing school, or perhaps go into medical research but either of these nromally require further education in specific areas of study.

So what you need to do is decide what you WANT to do, then add to what you have to get that position.
    Anna26 Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Feb 7, 2006, 06:22 PM
    I think that nowadays in all areas of life we are exposed to large quantities of information - so much that it can be hard to use it effectively. Advanced math can help us deal with this - by seeking clarifying symmetries, by optimizing to find the best way to sort through data, by creating computer models, etc. Studying math really helps improve your ability to think logically and figure out exactly what you need to know to solve a problem.

This means in particular that advanced math can be used in many areas related to biology - for example, there is the field of bioinformatics which combines computer science, math, statistics and biology to help deal with the explosion of data relating to DNA sequences, protein structures and so forth.

But both math and biology are useful if you want to work in a lot of other fields like environmental science and medical science. For example some ecologists use game theory models to understand how different species interact.
    jwpowless Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2006, 07:18 PM
    I teach biology in Michigan. We had a career day thing one day, and a person was in my room as a "math career" person. He only drew about a dozen students. He spoke for awhile about the research projects he worked on (for a major pharmaceutical company). The scientists relied on his math skills to determine if their conclusions were statistically valid or not, and thus if their work was worth anything. Bored yet? So were the students in my room, until one asked him what he earned... he said he wouldn't tell them exactly, but that he was proud to have crossed into six figures that year. All of a sudden twelve high schoolers were glued to this man! They had lots of questions, and I could tell that they were rethinking their own math skills.

The bottom line is, if you have good math skills and you understand science, we humble scientists are completely at your mercy! The people that can do the math are in high demand on research projects and especially when it comes time to submit papers for publication. Note that the students were bored; the man loved his job!

Hope you find happiness on your way to your own career!

-Jeff in Michigan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search