Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pauto Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Framing walls?
    Do framed interior walls that sit on top of concrete basement floors need pressure treated wood for the base?
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 19, 2008, 10:42 AM
    Yes, use PT for the base plate.
    ThomasCKeat Posts: 157, Reputation: 12

Mar 19, 2008, 04:18 PM
    They sell a moisture barrier that you place between the floor and your joist, this protects it from mildew and moisture decay. In many areas the use of pressure treated lumber in a home is not to code. A fire releases the harmfull chemicals used on this lumber.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 20, 2008, 12:49 PM
    My rule of thumb is you never have white wood touching concrete, same for furring out basement walls. Newer PT is arsenic free but you still should not burn scrapes. If the house were to catch fire you'd be leaving the house anyway or be killed by the smoke from about 100 other things in your home that release toxic fumes when burned.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 01:13 PM
    I would suggest checking your local code on this matter.
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Mar 20, 2008, 01:57 PM
    In my time as a contractor I have seen several codes requiring treated wood on concrete, I have never run into a case in which it is a code violation to use Ac2 lumber. I would agree with ballengerb1, if my house catches on fire the last thing I will worry about is the treated lumber. My personal experience with putting a vapor barrier between the wood and the concrete is it does not work. I have looked through my state and federal code books and don't see anything about it being a violation. HOWEVER... that does not mean the city or county you live in doesn't have some codes of their own.
    Mike
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 20, 2008, 02:11 PM
    I also checked my code book and couldn't find anything, excet for the type of fastener you are supposed to use with PT (Zinc Coated Galvanized). City codes do vary though like Mike said.
    clanmac Posts: 37, Reputation: 3

Mar 22, 2008, 11:47 PM
    Check with building code from your local building office and see what they say.
    bill slater Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pauto
    Do framed interior walls that sit on top of concrete basement floors need pressure treated wood for the base?
    When I remodel basements,I cut 1/2 '' fiber exspansion joints into 4'' squares and place them 16'' on center under the bottom plate of walls, since most of them are non bearing. This keeps the plates dry and in case of an accidental water leak or wet floor may save you from replacing damaged drywall or rotted studs because of wicking.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 26, 2008, 07:10 AM
    Bill, your appraoch may work for you just like a barrier mentioned earlier bit it still may not be code. Have you checked code in your state/town? I have not run into any codes that allow white wood to touch concrete.
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Mar 27, 2008, 03:47 AM
    I agree ballengerb, all the codes I have seen absolutley will not allow un treated wood to come in contact with cement.
    Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best framing nailer [ 4 Answers ]

What type of framing nailer would be best for framing, sheeting, and subflooring? A clipped head or a full head?

Framing nailer [ 1 Answers ]

Can I used clipped head and a full head nails in a portal-cable FC350A framing nailer.

Roof framing [ 1 Answers ]

How to lay out and cut roof rafters

Soot on walls, shadows of framing visible on ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

We have a trane gas furnace, have noticed light film of soot on walls and just about everything else in the house. Can see shadows of wall framing on some walls and ceiling. It is quite noticeable around registers on floor on carpet and at baseboard on exterior walls. Had 2 different heating...

New framing on old wall [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to undertake some remodeling on my master bath and let me explain the setup first. From my master bad to the sink area of the bathroom there is a half wall with 2 supports because it is a load bearing wall. I want to tear this out and put a pocket door in and make the wall a full one. ...

View more questions Search