Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emery Posts: 92, Reputation: 2

Mar 19, 2008, 09:16 AM
    Theft from employer
    I recently took some items about 1,000 worth from my place of employment and although the police have no evidence, no video, no witnesses or anything I was scared and told them what I took. The court wants to offer me a conditional discharge with community service and I will probably agree. Please let me know if you think this is a fair sentence based on the above. Also, I am 19 and was going to be a police officer but now do not know what to do. I only did this stupid thing on a whim and have no other record. I was honest because I thought cooperating would be better than lying. Do you think I still have a chance to be a police officer. I was accepted into police foundations this fall and am not sure if I should take it still or not.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 03:34 PM
    Hello e:

You're an adult. I'm not sure what a "conditional discharge" is. You probably don't either. If you do community service, then that means you will have been convicted of a crime and sentenced for it. Even if it is "discharged", the cops will know about it.

Will it stop them from hiring you?? I don't know. Would you hire a crook to be a cop?

excon
    Foxyarse Posts: 41, Reputation: 4

Mar 19, 2008, 03:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by emery
    I recently took some items about 1,000 worth from my place of employment and although the police have no evidence, no video, no witnesses or anything I was scared and told them what I took. The court wants to offer me a conditional discharge with community service and I will probably agree. Please let me know if you think this is a fair sentence based on the above. Also, I am 19 and was going to be a police officer but now do not know what to do. I only did this stupid thing on a whim and have no other record. I was honest because I thought cooperating would be better than lying. Do you think I still have a chance to be a police officer. I was accepted into police foundations this fall and am not sure if I should take it still or not.
    You got off very lightly... it might weight against you becoming a cop... you now have a conviction. By the way-the cops are the biggest crooks in the business
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 05:25 PM
    Take their deal as it's a pretty good one from the sound of it since you won't be getting any jail time. As far as being a police officer, try to figure out something else to do careerwise with your life.
    tf7426 Posts: 282, Reputation: 21

Mar 19, 2008, 05:37 PM
    You pretty much got off. Mainly because you fessed up and pled guilty.. all a conditional discharge means is that you have to keep your nose clean for a year or whatever time the judge sets, and I mean CLEAN not even a d&d or a section 5, otherwise they will send you back to court and retry you for the theft, and you won't get off so lightly...

It's a fair sentence (but I don't know why the stuck the community service on)
    They gave me a conditional discharge for much worse than theft.. but of course depends on the judge

Just take it and keep your head down till your conditional is over... at least you don't have to go jail or pay any fines
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2008, 06:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by emery

You are aware you posted this before but that time you didn't commit the crime? You seem to have a problem with the truth.

Anyway - a background check will turn this up, conditional discharge or not. And then it's up to to the Police Agency.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft from employer-ramifications [ 4 Answers ]

I was reading other posts on this site and I came across one that is very simmiler to my case, he sounded like a jerk, but I guess I am no better. I work at an electornics store and recently tried to steal 4 Xbox 360s. I put them all in a different box and a coworker carried them out to his friends...

Theft from Employer [ 2 Answers ]

I need help... Im a single mom, who did something terribly stupid... :( over the last year, I worked for a store in Manitoba, Canada... I needed money really bad and I wasn't getting enough hours at work and I ended up stealing money from my employer... as the year went by.. I tried to stop...

Theft From employer [ 6 Answers ]

I have recently received a letter form my past employer who is seeking just over $20 000 for funds that he is claiming I stole. I live in Ontario Canada and am 18 years old. Money was taken on my part but it was around the $5000 mark, either just under or just over. In the letter he is giving me 15...

Theft employer in Canada [ 3 Answers ]

I recently got charged with stealing 5 iPod nano's(each aprrox.worth $224 no tax included) from my employer Walmart Canada. My friend was arrested 2 days before me because the cops claim they have us on camera stealing. He was sent home after interrogation and received two court dates one for...

View more questions Search