Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kkickert Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2006, 11:47 AM
    Cd Not Recognizable after hard drive replaced
    Just replaced a hard drive in a Dell Dimension 4100 Pentium III. I see it in the BIOS. But I can't get the cd drive to recognize the disk to start the installation of Windows XP. I have tried so manyoptions that I'm going a little nuts. I did get to the point of formating the c drive - but after that I am a little stuck.

Any help would be appreciated!
    Kathy
    extreme42583 Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Feb 3, 2006, 10:40 PM
    Did you f-disk it? Have floppy startup disk? Let me know... good luck
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 4, 2006, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kkickert
    Just replaced a hard drive in a Dell Dimension 4100 Pentium III. I see it in the BIOS. But I can't get the cd drive to recognize the disk to start the installation of Windows XP. I have tried so manyoptions that I'm going a little nuts. I did get to the point of formating the c drive - but after that I am a little stuck.

Any help would be appreciated!
    Kathy
    Check your jumpering. Especially if the drive and CD are on the same channel one needs to be jumpered as master, the other as slave. That's one of the more common errors when replacing a drive.
    SHAVED Posts: 275, Reputation: 41

Feb 4, 2006, 06:36 AM
    Hi,
    Did you check in BIOS what is the first boot device. It should be the CD Rom.
    If it is not the case set the CD-Rom as the first boot device and try.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

Hard drive from a MAC [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I was just wondering if it was possible to install and format a hard drive from an old apple mac into my windows PC (to save my buying another hard drive). Regards, Navarre

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Used hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I put a used hard drive in my computer,and tried to install windows 98 it keeps saying that the drive is dirty and it needs cleaning,How do I do that?

My cd drive is not recognizable. [ 8 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I've had this problem for a few days now, but I wasn't really bothered enough to fix it because I don't know enough about it. Anyway, here's my problem: When in My Computer, in Devices with removable storage I can only see the floppy disk driver. I can insert cds and the device...

View more questions Search