Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IceburgTX Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2008, 07:35 AM
    MI taxes paid mistakenly; how do I receive refund?
    I did not work or receive income in MI, but my company had been mistakenly paying state income tax to MI.
    A little history; this was an international company, and I had previously lived in MO. I live in TX now, and I think the whole "Missouri" thing is what threw them off. I don't owe anything to MO...

I have scoured MI's tax website, and have e-mailed and called to no avail. I know there is a form for this refund, but I can't find it. They only paid the MI taxes through March of last year, which is when I discovered that they had been paying into MI (when I filed 2006).

I was refunded the 2006 taxes that were paid to MI, so I know there is a way to do this, I just ahven't been able to figure out how. Your expertise is greatly appreciated!

Darren
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 2, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Darren:

If this is still an issue, you need only file as a NON-resident of Missouri, and claim ZERO Missouri-sourced income. That will result in you receiving a complete refund of your Missouri-withheld taxes.

When you file this return, you will need to prove that you are living and working in Texas. A memo from your company should be sufficient proof.
    IceburgTX Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Yeah, thanks. It was Michigan, by the way, but irrelevant anyway.

I finally got through to their office on the 15th, ironically. Up to that time, you could nav through their intricate web of phone stuff and when it would tell you that "unusually high call volume" was going to have you on hold, it would then follow with a good-bye and hang up. For 3 1/2 months, that's what I dealt with. Nice.

Anyway, yeah; I had to fil out the NR, and a 1040, as well as 2 other forms I don't remember. Fortunately, that's the last time I'll have to worry about it, since my current employer knows what damn state I'm in. :D

Thanks for the advice!
    D
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 5, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Glad to help, even if somewhat late!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax paid on US income in India, can I claim refund in the US? [ 3 Answers ]

From January 07 through march 07, I paid US taxes. This income was also reported as "WORLDWIDE" income and corresponding taxed paid on my Indian tax returns. I have Indian TAX certificate for the tax paid in Indian Rupees on the US income. While filing my US tax returns, can I get exemption on...

Will I have to pay taxes if I receive a 1099 from my short sale? [ 2 Answers ]

I am plainning to refinance my home and my mortgage company offered a "short payoff" in which I will receive a 1099 at the end of the year. Will I be required to pay taxes on this money?

Early Withdraw - 401K Taxes Paid vs. Taxes Owe [ 7 Answers ]

Last year I took a early withdraw from my 401k last year after leaving my job. I had 30% withheld for Fed. Taxes. I am getting ready to have my taxes prepared. I have several questions. 1. Was 30% enough? Does 10% penalty still apply? 2. I live in the state of IL. Will I owe state taxes? ...

Can I get any refund if I file since I paid for college books but didn't work? [ 2 Answers ]

I did not work in 2007 but I am an adult returning to college and 2007 was my first year in pursuit of an associate's degree. Most of my tuition and fees were paid by a Pell Grant, but I did pay about $500 to $600 buying my own books and a few very small payments on the balance of Stafford loans...

Refund of SS and Medicare taxes [ 6 Answers ]

Hi Expert, My SS and medicare taxes were withheld by my employee while I was doing optional practical training and my status was non-resident alien from Jan 1 2005 - Sep 30 2005. From Oct 1 onwards my visa status changed to H1B. That means I should be asking for refund of those withheld...

View more questions Search