Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    afghanhound101 Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2008, 06:46 AM
    Iodine deficiency
    Hi everyone,
    I have a quick question. I've read online that an easy way to check for iodine deficiency is to apply iodine to your skin. On 1 website it stated that if the iodine loses it's colour before 4 hours, it means you're iodine deficient, on another it says 6 hours and yet another says 24 hours. Which opinion is correct?
    Thanks
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 03:30 PM
    I think it is saying that if it hasn't lost its color in 24 hours your iodine is fine with N0 deficiency.
    IF it loses its color within 4 to 6 you are really deficient and anything in between would be moderately deficient.

Mar 19, 2008, 05:21 PM
    Thanks for the answer. Do you mean to say that if it has completely lost it's colour then one is iodine deficient? Also, where would you recommend that I apply the iodine? Can it applied underneath clothing or will the clothes rub it off?
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 05:23 PM
    I would put it on my wrist. I am not sure. I have been wanting to try it myself.
    If it completely loses its color within a few hours I would think that means you are deficient.
    After that probably just a little deficient
    supriya _82 Posts: 241, Reputation: 24

Mar 20, 2008, 12:36 AM
    May I ask why the concern for iodine deficiency?

Mar 23, 2008, 07:02 PM
    I think I've developed a goiter. I'm having trouble breathing when I exert myself and swallowing sometimes.
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2008, 07:10 PM
    You need to get to the hospital then I would think
    supriya _82 Posts: 241, Reputation: 24

Mar 23, 2008, 09:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by afghanhound101
    i think i've developed a goiter. i'm having trouble breathing when i exert myself and swallowing sometimes.
    If you already have a goitre then iodine deficiency is not something you should be thinking of NOW. Also any thyroid swelling is a goitre. Only "colloid" goitres are caused by iodine deficiency.

The goitre needs to be fully investigated which would involve thyroid function tests, an ultra sound and an FNAC. The difficulty in breathing suggests theere has been a sudden increase in size which could be ominous.

Urgent appointment with the doctor is advisable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Alpha1-antitrypsin deficiency and Ambrotose [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 26 years old and was diagnosed as an Alpha nearly a year ago. Has anyone with Alpha 1 (or someone you know) used Ambrotose with notable improvement of the symptoms &/or attacks?

B12 deficiency [ 1 Answers ]

Can a B12 deficiency cause a problem with your thyroid?

Will lender notify that there is no deficiency after foreclosure [ 2 Answers ]

My wife's home was foreclosed in April 2007. This was the home she purchased in 2001 before we met. Everything was going just fine for her, good credit, on-time payments. When she and I married in 2006 she put her house up for sale as she was moving from the Detroit area and we now live in my...

What intermediates accumulate in PK-deficiency? [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know the 3 intermediates that accumulate in PK-deficiency (pyruvate kinase deficiency)?

View more questions Search