Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sml4life Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2008, 06:40 AM
    Laptop Screen Goes Black
    Hi

I bought a Sony VIOA laptop last summer and about 4 months after the screen started going black, however the power is still on. Additionally, if I move the top back and forth to a particular position the screen will come back. The computer does not shut down or anything, the screen just gets dark.

I took it back to Best Buy, but the issue would not happen while there. They thought it might be the battery, so I got another one, but the problem still exist. I have not been able to get it diagnosed as yet. What could be causing this?

Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 19, 2008, 06:47 AM
    Doesn't sound like the battery, but more like a loose connection between the screen and the body. I would insist that they send it back to Sony for repair or that they replace it.
    tf7426 Posts: 282, Reputation: 21

Mar 19, 2008, 06:50 AM
    Sounds like problem with the display cable or connector is loose inside the laptop.. it should be under warranty so if you take it to sony or where you bought it they should fix it for you no problem

Also a common problem with sony laptops: the little button which turns the screen off when you close the lid, on vaios I think that's in the catch which locks the lid closed on top of the screen, so if it turns off again try closing the lid and opening again
    drsam Posts: 49, Reputation: 3

Mar 19, 2008, 10:07 AM
    You can try first disk clean up and then disk check and don't move the laptop much while you are working... do these things and then let us know..?

Mar 19, 2008, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by drsam
    you can try first disk clean up and then disk check and dnt move the laptop much while you are working............do these things and then let us know....?????
    Why would a problem with the hard drive affect the screen going completely black?

Mar 19, 2008, 11:05 AM
    Its because he has a laptop and people with laptop generally have a habbit of keep moving the laptop while they a watching a movie or are tired while sitting in one position and if one shakes a laptop there are chances that it wuld corrupt the O.S. because the hard disk are running at that time and this is why I said that the user needs to be first sure of his activities and whether the O.S. is fine or not,before he blames the company
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 11:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by drsam
    if one shakes a laptop there are chances that it wuld corrupt the O.S.
    Sorry mate, that's not going to happen. Today's laptop are made to be portable; shaking the laptop will not currupt the OS.

Mar 19, 2008, 11:41 AM
    I agree with Need. I've dropped my lappy on its side and it still worked fine. The Op reported he could bring back the screen by fiddling with the screen position. That is almost definitely a loose connection and would not have anything to do with the hard drive.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 12:29 PM
    When it happens, take a bright light and see if you can see an image on the screen. If you can, then the problem is related to the backlighting, which is a small fluorescent lamp and a power suppply. This will give somebody something to go on.

Mar 20, 2008, 08:38 AM
    OKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK let the person for whome we all are arguing tell us which method helped him

Mar 20, 2008, 09:31 AM
    No one is arguing. We were just correcting your erroneous advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laptop screen flickering [ 4 Answers ]

Within the last month or so, I have noticed flickering on my laptop screen occasionally. Sometimes when I move the screen, it goes all bright and then returns to normal. As I said, this hasn't happened much, probably only about 10 times in the last month. However, when I turned it on today, it went...

Laptop screen repair? Useful life of a laptop? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an IBM Thinkpad X40. Have had it for 3 years Spilt liquid on the screen a while ago and now, although the screen works still, it has a kind of mottled tidemark effect and is dark in places (can also see where drops of water are permanently "stuck" behind the screen). Is this fixable?...

View more questions Search