Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2008, 09:39 PM
    Turbine roof vents
    I have roof vents, on my metal roof which are of the turbine type. One of them leaks during heavy rain, which we have had recently. I have been on the roof, and I can't find any area around the vent which needs any sealing. Is it conceiveable that the vent itself is leaking? I have three vents on the roof, all installed the same way, and only one is leaking. Any advice would be appreciated.
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Mar 19, 2008, 06:18 AM
    It is hard to tell with out seeing it. The vent itself could be leaking depending on age. I have also seen metal roofs leak at the ridge if the closers were not installed properly, or even at all. I had a "leaking vent stack" last year. The guy called and said it leaked around the pipe inside the house. Turned out the wind would blow the rain under the ridge and it followed the roof down under the metal, once it hit the pipe in it went. Remember water will always take the path of least resistance. In this case they had not used closers, once I installed them the leak stopped. Can you see the leak in the attic? I would suggest (if possible) to watch the vent from underneath the next time it rains. Sorry I can't help more. Mabey you could post a pic of the vent.
    Mike
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 07:09 AM
    As Mike stated,the water could be coming in from any area above this vent(ie. Check for the edges of shingles butting up against each other just above the flange) and take a picture if possible to show us what were looking at, that speaks volumes vs. words.

Ken
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 19, 2008, 07:47 AM
    Are all the vents installed on the same side of the roof or is one on the other side of the ridge? Check the step flashing for proper installation and caulking.

Mar 19, 2008, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Missouri Bound
    I have roof vents, on my metal roof .
    I am assuming you have a "metal roof" and not metal shingles? If you could post a pic it would be of great help.
    Mike
    AlexB Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Mar 19, 2008, 10:32 AM
    I have a separate question about turbine vents. What on earth would you use to stop the squeaking? When it's spinning rapidly, it's quiet, but when it is either just starting to spin or just stopping we get a nice squealing which keeps my kids up at night convinced something is coming to get them.

I sprayed some Jigaloo on it from underneath on every place where I could reach that two parts moved by each other and it did nothing. Anybody have any ideas?

Mar 19, 2008, 12:26 PM
    Tell the kids not to worry about the noise... tell them its just the GPS system Santa uses to locate your house ! OK Seriously... you some times need to lubercate them from the attic... if they are bigger ones you can remove the screen(if there is one) and lubercate from the inside of the vent. Its hard to do from the outside on some of those vents.
    Mike
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 19, 2008, 12:33 PM
    I'd try spray lithium grease with a small extension tube on the spray button.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roofers covered 1 of 3 roof vents for sewer [ 4 Answers ]

Our house is an older house, I was putting in a ceiling fan and had to remove some drywall over a closet. I noticed that a vent pipe (for kitchen) had fallen on the top of the closet. The pipe had a elbow in it hat had rusted (bad salt air problem here), when they were putting the new roof on...

Turbine not spinning in washer [ 1 Answers ]

My washer, which is a kenmore 80 series, stopped spinning and the turbine stopped working. How do I fix it?

Septic stink outside house from roof vents [ 20 Answers ]

Hi, We had a completely new septic tank and drain field put in about a month ago. The old septic was four inch cinder block and the pipe ran under a retaining wall to the house. They said that after they crushed the old septic they could not get to the house because of the wall. I'm not sure where...

Bent turbine [ 2 Answers ]

What if you clean the air filter regularly? Can it happen from when the rod was replaced? The oil started leaking from the turbo base right after the initial repair of the worn out rod that caused the oil to originally leak. Then there was a vibration noise for about six months that continually...

Bent turbine blades in a 2000 7.3 turbo [ 1 Answers ]

What can damage the turbines on the turbo for a 7.3 ford diesel. This is a 2000 that had to have the "rod"? Replaced which right after the bolts on the turbo came loose and caused the turbo to come loose causing vibration that caused the new "rod"? Loose and damage the rod and somehow two blades...

View more questions Search