Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Johouses Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2008, 06:38 PM
    College Students + Parental Financial Support
    I have two boys who are both at college. They each have part time jobs. They spend their money on gas and novelties. I am paying an outrageous amount to insure their vehicles and pay for their cell phones. I know a lot of parents flip the bills for their kids while in school but I am not really financially able to continue this. Are their any parents who do not pay these items on behalf of their kids?
    blondiechika05 Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Mar 18, 2008, 06:56 PM
    Well I'm not a parent but I just went through five years of college (BA and MA) and am starting over. The first time around, my parents did pay for almost everything. I worked part-time on and off as there were some semesters where my schedule didn't leave job time and I was very involved on campus (for a commuter anyway). When I first started working during high school, my mom and I had an agreement that I would give her a certain amount every week out of my check. Right now, however, the only thing my parents are providing is the roof over my head and a small part of my car insurance (when I got my new car it went up a bit and I just couldn't do that little bit more).

My suggestion to you is that you tell your boys to start chipping in a little bit instead of spending so much on "novelties." Everyone needs a bit of pocket money but college-age kids are definitely old enough to start contributing financially. You said you pay their cell phone bills. Can't they take that over for themselves?

As I said, it's just a suggestion.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 18, 2008, 07:05 PM
    I worked for a while at GA TECH, and MOST parents did not pay for their kids insurance and did not pay for their kids cell phones. So basically tell them sorry after this or that date you will no longer pay it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Financial aid for gifted students [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find financial aid for the education of a very gifted 6 year old?

Film about college students [ 1 Answers ]

I seen a film last year about these college students in america who travel to mexico so they can get one of the stundents to have sex for the 1st time. Its sort of a documentary comedy film and I just can't remember the title please help

Is parental financial assistance tax deductible [ 1 Answers ]

During the 2006 tax year I paid my retired parents prescription drug bills. They were both in the "donut hole" and were unable to afford them. Can I deduct the $4400 on my tax return as a one-time gift or is there some other tax deduction classification I can use? We live in the state of Oklahoma

Child support for Rotary Exchange Students [ 4 Answers ]

I have a daugter whom I have physical custody of. She spent the past year in Ecuador as a Rotary Exchange student. The New York State family court ruled in my exhusbands favor to cut out child support while she attended her senior year of high school there. She left my home in August and I lost...

View more questions Search