Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LeeAnnMemphis Posts: 58, Reputation: 6

Feb 3, 2006, 05:55 AM
    Deposit Refund
    Landlords,
    How do you normally handle your deposit refund to tenant?
    Ask them to leave a forwarding address and mail it to them? If so, how long do you wait to mail it to them?
    Do you have a standard amount you usually deduct for cleaning of the apartment if they left it gross/ dirty?
    He left the carpet super nasty. I am not going to bother to have it cleaned cause I am worried it is so gross it won't do any good. So if I rip out the carpet and have new flooring put down (I am hoping there is hardwood under there that only needs to be refinished, since it was originally hardwood) can I deduct any of the cost of that from his deposit?
    Are there any other standard amounts you deduct from a deposit before it is refunded?
    I am probably not going to refund his $200 deposit since I will be spending $1,800 in repairs on his bathroom due to his neglect- the floor is now rotted and must be replaced.
    He moved out yesterday :D and I still have not received the key or paid February rent-
    Can I pro-rate February rent (until the date I receive the key) and deduct those charges from his deposit?
    This is the first tenant I have had move out, so I just want to get an idea of how this normally works.
    Thanks for the help! :o
    Lee Ann
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 3, 2006, 06:43 AM
    Let me see, if they move out on the date they are suppose to move out
    Or I am evicting them. When ever they move out.

If the key is not returned within 3 days of their moving out I charge them for changing the locks ( I always change the locks anyway, but I have it in my lease that key must be returned within 3 days)

Next I try to do an exit review of the home on the day of moving, to give them a chance to clean the stove better, clean the frig or what ever.

I personally hire a professional cleaner to clean and normally I repaint the entire place between renters ( I have a handyman that works for me)

So it normally breaks down if they left the ovenand stove dirty $50
    Frig $50

Stain on rugs, either cost of cleaning or new rug cost

Holes in walls (small) about 25 each.

I mail them the check after the place is completely cleaned, so I don't miss anything, I also photo any and all problems as evidence ( thank heavens for digitial cameras now.

It is normally about a month after they move out that I send them their check. OK, sometimes if I go by and the place is obviously spotless I have sent the check that week but that seldom happens
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2006, 07:34 AM
    Itemize the damages and any rent (final pro-rate) he owes, take pictures, with-hold his deposit and send him a bill.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 3, 2006, 11:34 AM
    Most states require that the landlord send the tenant either the security deposit or a detailed accounting of the deposit within a certain amount of time after the tenant vacates the premises. Go to http://realestate.findlaw.com/landlord to check on the time for your state. You should be able to find it under the Resources link. Be aware that if you do not send the deposit or an accounting within that time and the tenant files a lawsuit, if the court decides that the deposit (or part of it) was wrongfully withheld then you can be liable for two or three times that amount. So check your state's laws and be careful to keep within the time. If you don't have a forwarding address for the tenant, send it to his previous address by certified mail and regular mail, and mark "forwarding and address correction requested" on the envelope.
    LeeAnnMemphis Posts: 58, Reputation: 6

Feb 3, 2006, 04:34 PM
    Something interesting I found in TN state law (I actually looked up the actual code and read it) is that in TN there is no time mandated for a return of deposit. So that is partly why I was wondering what sort of time most people used.
    Thanks for all the help!
    As far as lock changes Friar Chuck-
    I read a landlord book and it had a very good idea. I have 4 apartments. I had 5 sets made that all work off a Master Key. Each lock will open with it's specific key and then my Master Key. That way, it is always easy for me to get into an apartment in case of emergencies, etc. I only have to keep 1 key! I have copies of the specific keys in a safe in my apartment. The extra lock- when a tenant moves out, I will put take off the current lock and put the extra one on. I can just continually change out a lock when a tenant moves out with the spare lock. That way I never have to pay for re-keying!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 3, 2006, 08:37 PM
    Yes, I don't have the large number of rentals I used to have, and a lot of what I do now is rental or subleasing of commercial property, not near as much issue as renters. But I used to have a set of locks about twice as many as the rental properties I had, If I had to change locks I would use one from the group not used for a while. Also if you buy the "good" locks a lock smith can re-key fairly cheaply. Latter I just starting buying the walmart locks.

Best think you will learn to add to your lease every issue you have so that you will over time cover most things that are your problems.
    Also don't let them move in foot into apartment till the lease is signed, always require a proper deposit, and check those back ground checks before you rent.:cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Refund of Auto Sale Deposit [ 13 Answers ]

About a year ago, my son started to buy a used car. These are the facts as I understand them: 1. He put 700 down against the 7000 price. 2. The seller sent the car away to have some engine work done. My son was aware of this, and expected it to be available in 2-3 weeks. 3. After the engine...

Tax Refund Error - help please [ 2 Answers ]

I was living outside of the US for part of the last tax year; I filed an extension. On Friday my refund was direct deposited into my checking account. I was supposed to get $1850.00, instead I got $18.50. I've tried to get ahold of the IRS, US Treasury, my bank, everyone I can think of; I've had...

SS and Medicare refund [ 1 Answers ]

Since my employer took out SS and Medicare while I was on my OPT (until we found out he can't do that) I filed for a refund in January. I haven't heard back form the IRS yet. How lond does this usually take? I'm getting ready to move back home to Austria, so I was wondering if there is a way of...

Customer Wants refund [ 12 Answers ]

I have a Legal Question, here goes I have a small company that I run in my spare time, Computer work. But anyway, I have sold a complete system to a customer and after a week he wants his money back, a typical non written rule 3-day money back, but that is not written anywhere, in the...

SS/Medicare refund on OPT [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I entered US in August 2001. I was on my OPT (Student VISA) till Oct 2004 and then on my H1B. My Social Security and Medicare were deducted on my OPT . For my 2004 tax return I filed 1040A form. I used the software taxact and I did not realize that I have to file 1040NR. To get the...

View more questions Search