Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MaryP Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2008, 11:51 AM
    What is an appropriate gift?
    One of my nephews has just gotten engaged and I have no idea what to give as a gift. He got engaged on Tues. and registered on Thursday. When do I send the gift, there is talk of an engagement party this summer? I am very close to his mother and don't want to cause hard feelings. Is there a monetary amount I should be considering?
    mafiaangel180 Posts: 629, Reputation: 103

Mar 18, 2008, 11:55 AM
    To be quite honest, I would only give a gift when they get married.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 18, 2008, 12:10 PM
    If they are registered then you can see what they are registered for and choose something they want. For a nephew $25-$50 is appropriate for engagement. If you are also invited to the wedding I'd double that at that time.
    BBWfromPhilly Posts: 42, Reputation: 5

Mar 18, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Should you expect gifts and register for them?
    You shouldn't expect gifts as etiquette does not dictate that guests should bring them. However, the announcement of an engagement inevitably gets some guests thinking about gifts, and this is a time that they might start asking your family where you are registered. Some of your guests will bring gifts to the party. Therefore it's a good idea to have registered for a few things before sending the invitations. However, as not everyone will bring a gift, don't make the gifts a central part of the party. Put them aside, and open them after the guests have left. Don't forget to send thank you notes.

Throwing an Engagement Party -- Celebrating Your Engagement With Family and Friends
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2008, 07:42 PM
    Keep in mind if there is an engagement party, there will also probably be a bridal shower, and then the wedding gift. If you are invited to all three events you'll be shelling out money for three gifts; you should take that under consideration when deciding on a price.

In my opinion $25 or $30 for the engagement and bridal showers, then maybe $50 or $75 for the wedding gift would be appropriate. This of course is dependent on your financial situation too, and what "standard" gift giving in your family is like (I know people who never spend less than $100 for any event). If you are unable to afford such an amount, offer your time to help plan the wedding, there's a lot a bride needs to do, and she might appreciate someone who gets price quotes on DJs, cake people, and chair rental companies more than she would appreciate a spoon rest!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Christmas gift [ 3 Answers ]

I am completely at a loss of what to get my boyfriend. We started dating in August, he's 19, he spends a lot of his time studying for classes, into heavy metal music, plays guitar and video games, loves motorcycles and like most guys like likes new "gadgets" or whatever. Any one have any idea what...

Is this an OK gift? [ 8 Answers ]

My first cousin I s getting married in about 2 months. She and I were never close. When I got married she gave me 1 whine goblet with religious emblems on it (may spent $30.00) had no travel expense. I on the other hand have to drive 6 plus hours (each way) by myself, leaving my child and...

Can someone take you to court over a gift? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm trying to help out a friend here. A woman that he was involved with and now has broken up with sent him a certified letter stating that he needed to appear before a magistrate. She is claiming that he promised her some items as gifts. In the letter she states what the items are and what she...

Wrong Gift! [ 20 Answers ]

Wrong Gift! :confused: If I receive a gift which I didn't like / not to my taste, Should I keep mum so not to heart the feelings of person who has given me the gift? Or Should I tell the person that I did't like his/her gift without hearting his/her feelings... how? (If I keep mum then what...

View more questions Search