Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hodyssey2006 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2008, 11:47 AM
    Can I deduct H1B legal fees I paid for?
    In 2007 my employer sponsored me for an H1B visa. We made an agreement that I would pay all of the lawyer fees for filing the H1B visa with the immigration office. Am I able to deduct the legal fees I paid? Where do I enter the deduction? On Schedule A Employee Business Expenses Line 7 'Other' or Schedule A Miscellaneous Expenses Line 17 'Certain attorney and accounting fees'?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Pompanomom Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Apr 15, 2008, 08:58 AM
    I don't believe that you are allowed to pay any of the fees associated with obtaining your H1B other than the expediting fee (if you chose to expedite the process).
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 15, 2008, 11:14 PM
    These expenses are personal, and are not deductible.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 09:42 AM
    Agreed!
    arr164 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2012, 06:42 AM
    I'm wondering: what is the basis of the answers from MukatA and AtlantaTaxExpert? If the visa fees (both government and legal) were paid by the employer, he can deduct it as business expense. It would be illogical if IRS demands that employer absorbs the costs as his PERSONAL expense! Then do how the expenses become personal once it gets to employee? The definition is "common and necessary" which is very vague and subjective!
    Somebody else is saying on this site that only legal fees are deductible? I don't see any sense in that answer either.
    Is there any way to get an official ruling from IRS?

Mar 27, 2012, 06:51 AM
    Continuing the previous posting:
    See this page that "AtlantaTaxExpert" thought the expenses are deductible!!
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/taxes/...on-176828.html

Also see this page (another contradiction):
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/taxes/...ax-183532.html
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 27, 2012, 01:11 PM
    At the time of the posting, I DID in fact think the H-1B visa costs were deductible.

However, interaction with the IRS revealed the error of my thinking.

I cannot provide precise rulings, but the IRS was crystal clear when we discussed the matter: ALL costs associated with visas (any type) and green cards applications are PERSONAL in nature and therefore CANNOT be deducted.

Note that such costs are an AUDIT FLAG for the IRS. They look for them on non-resident returns and U.S. returns based on the presence of ITINs.

Mar 27, 2012, 01:32 PM
    How about employer? If employer pays all the expenses, as is legally required for some portions anyway, can he deduct them as business expenses?
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 28, 2012, 11:16 AM
    Probably. He can if the business is a sole proprietorship or partnership. Not sure about how the corporate tax laws apply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Job related expenses - H1B renewal/legal fees [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I paid legal/INS fees for my H1B extension in 2006. This came out of my 2006 income earned in the us... can I claim the visa fees a work related deductible? And the legal fees as a legal expense for "doing or keeping my job" ? Thank uuu

Can I deduct Mortgage alteration fees? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I paid $495 to my lender to alter my home mortgage, can I deduct that amount from my taxes and if so, where does that fall under? THANK you!

Deduct brokerage fees, appraisal fees and other closing costs on my taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased my home in Calif in 2006 and refinances in 2007 to lower the interest rate. Can I deduct the brokerage fee, appraisal fee, flood fee, document fee, escrow fee and transfer fees? I paid all of the fees and did not include them in the refinance of my home. If I can decuct any of these...

H1B Legal Fees as Job related Expense in Itemized Deduction ? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently paid for my H1B Visa and Legal Fees. (approx $3500). My question is can I claim that amount in my itemized deductions on my Tax Retun. I am an Indian National.

Deduct taxes paid on new car bought in 2007 [ 11 Answers ]

What are the tricks/traps in deducting the hefty tax paid on a new car bought in 2007? Thanks

View more questions Search