Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sonnyfresh Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Mar 18, 2008, 10:51 AM
    Estimating V.F.W. kitchen
    Hello, I have an at home office for house cleaning business. My question is I had a call from a VFW hall that wants me to bid on cleaning a neglected kitchen, they mentioned cubbards, stoves and the floor that as they said is bad. I haven't seen it yet, I have an appointment tomorrow. Where do I start? I hope I can get some advise before tomorrow. Thank you very much for your help. Sonny
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2008, 10:25 PM
    Ls this going to be a one-time thing or work that will be needing to be done on a regular basis? It would help us to help you to know that.

If it is going to be a job for you on a regular basis, then I would figure how much you want to be making an hour and submit a bid based upon how many hours you think that it would take you to properly clean it. I would also ask them if they would be supplying the cleaning tools and supplies or not, as that will have an effect on the price that you will bid.

If it is going to be a one-time thing and the kitchen is really dirty and you will be needing to clean also the insides in addition to the outsides of things, then I would suggest submitting a figure that would be much higher than what you would charge per hour since it would not be just a regular maintenance cleaning. There suppling the cleaning tools and supplies or not, would still figure into the bid, though.

Mar 19, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Thank you for your answer as for doing it on a regular basis, I asked them that on the phone, and they said that at that time they didn't know. We are going there today and he said that the Commander will be there so we will find out more then. At least I know that I can figure it all out by the hour now. Some of the answers that I read on this site said not to charge a job by the hour that you would lose money but I thought that the only way to bid this job was to see what was involved and how long it would take.Again thank you for answering this and I'll get back with you if we get the bid.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 12:31 PM
    Thank you for responding and I do look forward to hearing how things go.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 01:27 PM
    Although I am a Lifetime Member of the VFW -- I think they should be able to

Clean their own kitchen -- not make a mess and expect someone else to clean

Up after them -- most of them are probably older and not that able bodied...

Clough is right about making it worth your effort -- I feel you should get paid

A decent wage and try to work it into a regular job -- if that is what you want...

If it is a one time deal -- ask them if you can get someone to help you...

It might be good to find out what they expect as far as cleaning -- ask for a walk

Through before committing -- answer to one person -- not a committee...

I would use cleaning chemicals that can spray on and let set to work --

Or maybe the steam cleaning goodie that takes less work

Mar 20, 2008, 08:12 AM
    To CLOUGH. Ok we went to the VFW and walked through the area that they want cleaned, it is the kitchen with a little store room attached. The whole area measures 16 ft. x 38 Ft. They want the ceiling and all the walls washed. They have two 6ft. X 8ft. Tall stainless steel storage units that they want cleaned inside and out There are two 36in. Stoves with ovens to clean inside and out there is a butcher top cutting table approximately 2ft. x6ft. That needs to be resurfaced but they just want it cleaned up. There is 8ft. Of over head cabinets on the walls wooden to be cleaned outside and in. The storage area has stand up shelving units with dishes, pots and pans and other articles sitting on them, they want it all removed and the shelves cleaned, they want all these things that I mentioned moved away from the walls to clean behind and the floor. They want the floor (asphalt) stripped and re waxed. They told us to go home and figure this all out that we didn't have to give them an estimate right then.So you see, we have a lot to figure out.My question to you is for cleanig the walls and ceiling do I charge by the square foot or how? They said that this is going to take more than 2-3 days so where do I start? They said that they called a couple other company's but one was giving them the run around and it sounded like they were really interested in our company.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 09:17 AM
    Sounds like a very big job -- more than a one person job!!

They probably contacted Servicemaster and found it too expensive

Maybe you need to contact a cleaning service and see what their bid would be

Sounds like you need a crew -- clean top to bottom -- may take 1 week?

Mar 20, 2008, 12:08 PM
    I do have a crew, I have a cleaning business but work out of my home. I have no problem bidding this job but really never had one this large. We do mostly residential homes and we do have three commercial contracts but nothing this size. I would like to get this one permanently. They do have someone to clean their hall and bar area but felt that they couldn't handle this job.

Mar 22, 2008, 05:56 AM
    :) :) I think what I'll do is try to figure out how long each part of the job will take and charge by the hour. There will be three people working here so I'll have to make sure that the business will make money.

Mar 23, 2008, 09:12 AM
    Any other suggestions before I try to start figuring?

Mar 24, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Thanks biggsie, I'm going to present the estimate to them today, the only thing now is to figure each step individually per hour like stripping the floors then vacuuming then mopping then applying each coat of finish. I already figured the ceiling and walls. Thanks for your input.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paint estimating [ 12 Answers ]

I have found that the per sg ft estimate that some have been giving is on the low side I have been told to estimate between 1.50-4.50 sq/ft. Anyone out there agree. I was told this is what the unions charge?

Estimating a job [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to know how to estimate a interior painting job all one color Three bedrooms and two bathrooms and kitchen... thanks

Estimating painting exterior [ 2 Answers ]

Do you estimate exterior of house the same way as interior? By the square foot. Also is cost of the paint included in the estimate?

Painting estimating [ 1 Answers ]

When pricing painting jobs by the square foot. What is the proper way to measure? For both interior and exterior. I starting my own business and would like to price by the square foot method. Thank you for any help and ideas.

View more questions Search