Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ManjuDaddy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2008, 09:39 AM
    Setting up access to my server
    I am using a NetGear ethernet switch which is supposed to be an automatic setup device. However, I can see and use my printer, but I cannot see and access my server. The network connection message says, "limited or no connection". When I try to repair the connection, it says, "cannot renew IP address". Is the problem with my desktop, or my server, or the NetGear switch?
    contractor Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2008, 06:56 AM
    Type in 192.168.1.1 in the space bar like your going to a web site. The netgear login is admin and the password is password. Your server needs the same range of IP address as the router 192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.50 with the same subnet mask 255.255.255. Make sure that your Internet provider modem is reset, power down all, then turn on the modem,router,then the PC's.
    aung2bo Posts: 87, Reputation: 7

Apr 24, 2008, 08:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ManjuDaddy
    I am using a NetGear ethernet switch which is supposed to be an automatic setup device. However, I can see and use my printer, but I cannot see and access my server. The network connection message says, "limited or no connection". When I try to repair the connection, it says, "cannot renew IP address". Is the problem with my desktop, or my server, or the NetGear switch?

You server got the DHCP Service . IF you enable the DHCP service on your server , you should put some more PC in there...

Is your PC under the workgroup or Domain ?

One thing , your PC's network card is still working or not . You can check on the Device Manager.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Apr 24, 2008, 09:04 PM
    Okay, first we have to determine how everything is connected. Are you sure this is a netgear switch, or is it a router? Big difference there...

It sounds like the server is set up to obtain an IP address automatically. Is it the same with the computer and the printer? Or do they have IP's chosen manually?

You can tell by going to the command prompt and typing ipconfig /all

If it says DHCP Enabled: Yes, then it gets them automatically. If not, they're set up manually.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Setting up cisco TFTP server [ 2 Answers ]

I have been trying to setup a cisco tftp server on my PC to connect to the cisco router so that I can backup the IOS config file. The tftp server gives me an IP address that I should use but when I enter that IP address on the cisco router, I get an error. Is there a procedure I should follow to...

Unable to access 198.168.0.1 on my Server [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I am unable to access 198.168.0.1 on my Internet Server. I have already wasted several hours trying to do so.Mine is a Broadband coneection with Cable Modem. Quick response will be appreciated Mangudi Anuratha

Windows Server 2003 Share Access [ 9 Answers ]

I am in the process of upgrading a peer to peer windows xp network environment to a windows server 2003 domain. My clients have windows xp pro with a third party program installed for point of sale and accounts receivable management. The program requires access to a network share folder housing the...

Setting up Windows Server 2003 [ 6 Answers ]

Okay I have a few questions. First is my Cable ISP gives me a Dynamic IP Address. But I would like to set up a home net work with Windows 2003 server. I would like to physically set it up this way. Modem to Router with DHCP turned off on the router, then router to server with DHCP, then...

View more questions Search