Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SkyGem Posts: 177, Reputation: 18

Mar 19, 2008, 06:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    Do you have something else besides whats been run over and over? If you do bring it for all to see.
    Assuming you are addressing me, this Controversy is far from over. Actually, it's just beginning but with more steam! One place to go to read about it right now, besides so many others, is at:

ABC News: Online news, breaking news, feature stories and more

So, as long as this controversy continues, I will keep on addressing it as more and more *New Visitors* to this site need to be informed about this important matter even if you personally are not interested in hearing any more dirt surface about your candidate.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 08:16 PM
    You're boring us skygem!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 19, 2008, 09:09 PM
    Just to be clear, whoever is president, will give me nothing, and my life has never been based on who the prez is. If you have read any of my posts you'd know that I like all the candidates, for one reason, or another and having seen a few campaigns, this is the cleanest, but we will all see how they do under adversity, so worry about bringing the word to those who can't get it, as I am already far ahead, and realise how closed minded your post are, so fair warning, bring facts and we can debate. But don't assume I'm impressed okay. So in that spirit, I get Obama is not your man, so who is so we can balance this mudslinging and be fair.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 19, 2008, 09:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyGem
    I am keeping up. This matter will simply NOT go away, it can't. It's simply too important for the American people to know and understand about Obama.
    Have you ever attended a black church and listened to a sermon? In fact, have you attended more than once and listened to more than one black minister? No? Do you know anything about black churches and what goes on there on Sunday morning and during the week? No? Perhaps you'd better find out before you sling mud.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 02:41 AM
    Have you ever attended a black church and listened to a sermon? In fact, have you attended more than once and listened to more than one black minister? No? Do you know anything about black churches and what goes on there on Sunday morning and during the week? No? Perhaps you'd better find out before you sling mud.
    That is an irrelevant point. Provide the video of the whole speech and I'll be glad to see if Rev Wright's comments are taken in content or not. The same people who claim that his comments are taken out of content are the same ones who ad nausium repeat over and over that McCain plans to stay in Iraq 100 years ;comments of his that are demonstably taken out of content.
    Expert

Mar 20, 2008, 04:58 AM
    I am always suspicious of little snipets of video, as they can be made to show anything, and since there is only one, where is the pattern that spans 20 years? Who sent it to the media, and why didn't the major news networks carry his entire response? There are many unanswered questions to be answered in my view, not just whether this reverend is a hate monger or not. American politics, you got to love it.
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 06:16 AM
    I am always suspicious of little snipets of video, as they can be made to show anything, and since there is only one, where is the pattern that spans 20 years? Who sent it to the media, and why didn't the major news networks carry his entire response? There are many unanswered questions to be answered in my view, not just whether this reverend is a hate monger or not. American politics, you got to love it.
    There are more than one ;but I agree it does not show the entire sermon .As I mentioned ;I am more than willing to view them in their entirety

I do not think it relevant who released them except to say that the content of them were widely known ;that the Chicago Press and the national press suppressed the information as long as they could and that it indeed affected the outcome of the primary race to this point by not being forthright.

Yes I have MANY unanswered questions about Obama . It doesn't help that we are told to ignore the man behind the curtain.

As for American politics ? Thus it ever was . Partisan Presidential politics became our reality in 1796 and has not changed much since .
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 06:47 AM
    There is a rebroadcast of something by Wright this evening at 6:00 PM CST via the church's website. I plan on giving it a look. The story is the videos were purchased by Fox News directly from the church's online bookstore. There you have it, one more reason to bash FNC.
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 06:57 AM
    Steve did you hear the rants of Hillary supporter The Rev James Manning ? He trashes Obama in the most vile manner .I wonder if they can be excused due to the unique historical character of the black Church also ?

Basically he calls Obama a pimp . Gee... now that I think about it ;I wonder if the Clinton's will have rightgous anger over Obama being called a pimp ?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 20, 2008, 09:20 AM
    Yay for Bobby!! The OT book of Amos leads the way for white evangelical Christians.
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    Steve did you hear the rants of Hillary supporter The Rev James Manning ? He trashes Obama in the most vile manner .I wonder if they can be excused due to the unique historical character of the black Church also ?

Basically he calls Obama a pimp . Gee..... now that I think about it ;I wonder if the Clinton's will have rightgous anger over Obama being called a pimp ?
    Yeah, I heard that yesterday. I also heard something from an Illinois state senator this morning. I say if one should be excused "due to the unique historical character of the black Church" they all should. Or, in what could be a good thing that comes out of this, people say enough regardless of who this nonsense comes from.
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 10:29 AM
    What I got from Obama was his defense by making excuses for “Black Liberation Theology;” that there is a conspiracy of racism in America today and that legalized discrimination still exists today.
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 10:47 AM
    What I got from Obama was his defense by making excuses for “Black Liberation Theology;” that there is a conspiracy of racism in America today and that legalized discrimination still exists today.
    And the only cure is liberal paternalism.
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 12:49 PM
    Did you catch Obama's interview with Anderson Cooper yesterday?

COOPER: Played endlessly for much of the past week, today, Senator Obama continued to distance himself from his former pastor's angry rhetoric, and tried to gauge how his speech yesterday on race was playing on the campaign trail.

(on camera): How badly do you think this has damaged you? How much has it hurt? National Review Online says, bottom line, will the speech help you win white working-class voters?

SEN. BARACK OBAMA (D-IL), PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE: Well, you know, one of the things I said early on in this campaign was, if I was just running the textbook campaign, doing the conventional thing, I probably wasn't going to win, because Senator Clinton was going to be much more capable of doing that than I would be.

We had tremendous success, and I think we were starting to get a little comfortable and conventional right before Texas and Ohio. And, you know, in some ways, this controversy has actually shaken me up a little bit and gotten me back into remembering that, you know, the odds of me getting elected have always been lower than some of the other conventional candidates.
    I have my own ideas on this but what is everyone else's take?
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Sounds like racial-identity politics to me. Strange coming from a person who claims to have transcended that sort of thing.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Mar 20, 2008, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    Sounds like racial-identity politics to me. Strange coming from a person who claims to have transcended that sort of thing.
    Even stranger coming from Caucasian Republicans that have never stepped foot into a African-American church before.
    SkyGem Posts: 177, Reputation: 18

Mar 20, 2008, 05:32 PM
    Wondergirl says (to SkyGem):
    Quote:

Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    That is an irrelevent point. Provide the video of the whole speech and I'll be glad to see if Rev Wright's comments are taken in content or not. The same people who claim that his comments are taken out of content are the same ones who ad nausium repeat over and over that McCain plans to stay in Iraq 100 years ;comments of his that are demonstably taken out of content.
    Besides that, what Patriotic American wants to go to a church, no matter what it predominant race, and listen to sermons that damn America, our beloved country! Speeches that border on sedition are not my cup of tea, folks. Too bad it appears to be the name brand of Wondergirl since she seems to know so much about and is defending such places and that should tell the story about who we are conversing with! Conversation with that one ended immediately!
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Mar 20, 2008, 05:46 PM
    Besides that, what Patriotic American wants to go to a church, no matter what it predominant race, and listen to sermons that damn America, our beloved country! Speeches that border on sedition are not my cup of tea, folks. Too bad it appears to be the name brand of Wondergirl since she seems to know so much about and is defending such places and that should tell the story about who we are conversing with! Conversation with that one ended immediately!
    Vail Colorado-Todays information & news from Vail Daily - Commentary

"Matt Zalaznick
    Vail, CO Colorado
    March 20, 2008

White America and its news anchors are still afraid of black men. Especially angry ones who criticize the homeland.

I see bigotry, racism, xenophobia, antipathy and distrust in the hysterical reactions to the speeches of Barack Obama’s fiery pastor, Jeremiah Wright, and the guilt-by-association some hope will torpedo the Democratic frontrunner’s presidential aspirations.

Perhaps I’m paranoid, but I detect a slight trace of glee in the full-frontal assault on Obama’s connection to Wright by the likes of Sean Hannity, Bill O’Reilly and other less-demented pundits’

They seem to almost be breathing a sigh of relief that, if the inflammatory pastor finally sinks his unflappable follower, the threat of a black president will have passed, and we can all move on to being worried about a female commander in chief.

While Jeremiah Wright strikes fear into the hearts of America (and its 24-hour news channels) when he suggests U.S. policy may have triggered the rage behind Sept. 11, white “men of god” and white politicians can bash gays without making a single headline.

And if they do make headlines, their “holiness” — or their skin color — seems to excuse their hate speech. Sometimes, the media and others turn the harmless white bigot into a victim when he or she is blasted and scorned for intolerance.

Former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum used to call gays one of the biggest threats to America. Former presidential candidate and Colorado congressman Tom Tancredo has called other cultures a major threat to America.

But W. has never been vilified quite like Obama has for his ties to these cultural cavemen, or for his ties to leaders to the religious right who spew even worse hate speech — all while visiting Denver prostitutes.

But a black preacher’s sometimes over-the-top anger at a nation that has, during its history, treated his people beyond dreadfully is portrayed as something dangerous, even seditious.

A key part of Obama’s riveting speech on race Tuesday was when he talked about the anger and bitterness still felt by blacks of his pastor’s generation. Wright still distrusts white America, and the progress made on civil rights hasn’t allayed his fears that there could still be backlash against blacks by the ethic majority.

If blacks could be enslaved in the 19th Century and lynched and oppressed well into the 20th, what’s to say it couldn’t happen again? It may seem unlikely, but that must be the fear that drives some of Wright’s anger.

As a Jew, I can’t compare my easy American experience to that of American blacks, but I can understand how an older generations’ memories of a harsh past can breed fears of future persecution.

Many Jews of my grandparents’ and parents generations’ — some of whom may never have experienced direct anti-Semitism unless they tried to join the local country club — have a lingering fear that, if our people could have been slaughtered and discriminated against for hundreds of years, Jews also could once again become the target of a tyrannical government, even here in the Land of the Free.

In fact, many Jews I know said the most uncomfortable they’ve ever been in their lives about their religion has been during George W. Bush’s presidency.

A few white Christian males have even adopted a sort-of “reverse victimhood.” They have dominated the nation for so much of its history that when their primacy begins to teeter a bit, they try to play the role of the persecuted when the true victims of the past — such as Jeremiah Wright and his congregation — express their anger and remind the majority of its crimes.

The most offensive aspect of the recent attacks on Obama and his pastor is the ownership the white majority takes of the United States when they brand people like Jeremiah Wright traitors because they’ve said very unpleasant things about the way we, as a nation, have behaved.

But the great thing about the United States is that — unlike some nations where we are fighting wars (Iraq) or propping up shady regimes (Saudi Arabia) to ensure our oil supply — the country does not belong to any single ethnicity, gender or religion.

To suggest otherwise — and to levy even greater scorn on a member of a minority for criticizing Uncle Sam — is to show a true lack of patriotism."
    Expert

Mar 20, 2008, 08:46 PM

Rev. Wright, is an ex Marine, and has EARNED the right to say whatever he pleases, about anything he wants. If you would Google a little, you would find that what he says is the TRUTH! That's what boggles my mind, the media hasn't even investigated what he said. You have a computer, look it up. Start with how the CIA funded the rebels in Nicaragua. And go for it.
    Expert

Mar 20, 2008, 08:51 PM
    And just for giggles, look up the history of the Persian Gulf, start at 1920 when they found oil in Iraq. See who came a calling, and how they established the cultivating of the oil fields. I'm sure some smart reporter will start to add things up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Intertherm Electric Furnace Blower works in "on" not in "auto" [ 6 Answers ]

I have an Intertherm Electric Furnace E2EB-015AH. I came home from work last night, turned the heat on and it didn't work as advertised. I could hear the relays clicking occasionally so I investigated a little and found the elements are heating up and cycling, the relay inside the thermostat cycles...

"Patriotism Questions For Obama" [ 32 Answers ]

Is the hand of Clinton behind this? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Patriotism questions for Obama No flag pin, no hand over his heart: Is he exposed? The Associated Press Updated 5:26 a.m. ET, Sun. Feb. 24, 2008 WASHINGTON - Sen. Barack...

"what's the big deal?" about using the words "pimped out" in reference to Chelsea? [ 11 Answers ]

Some people don’t seem to think it is a big deal. Clinton Calls Shuster Comment Part of 'Troubling Pattern' | The Trail | washingtonpost.com

"Tree swing" analogy in education [ 1 Answers ]

How is the "tree swing" analogy used in education?

View more questions Search