Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    semitar6 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Transferring Title When the Owner is Deceased
    My grandmother has lived in her Michigan home for about 50 years now. As she has increased in age she wants to transfer the title of her home to one of her daughters who will take possession of it upon her death. However the house was originally owned by my grandfathers mother and since they were living there before she passed away, the title was never transferred to my grandparents. So a woman who has been dead for at least 30 years technically still owns the house. I would love to get this situation taken care of for her but what would my first steps be. I'm completely ignorant of real estate law. Any information would be appreciated.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2008, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by semitar6
    My grandmother has lived in her michigan home for about 50 years now. As she has increased in age she wants to transfer the title of her home to one of her daughters who will take possession of it upon her death. However the house was orginally owned by my grandfathers mother and since they were living there before she passed away, the title was never transferred to my grandparents. So a woman who has been dead for at least 30 years technically still owns the house. I would love to get this situation taken care of for her but what would my first steps be. I'm completely ignorant of real estate law. Any information would be appreciated.

Was the estate of your Great grandparents probated?

Mar 18, 2008, 06:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    Was the estate of your Great grandparents probated?
    Not that Im aware of.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 18, 2008, 07:43 PM
    Welcome to nighmare court.

The estate of the last person from? How many years ago, will have to go to probate court and all the legal heirs to that estate will have the right to file claim, the judge will decide ownership and issue a new deed.

Assuming she gets the deed, she can then have a title attorney or title company do a new one adding the daughter.

The issue will be if the grandfather had other brothers and sisters, they will have a legal claim to a share of the property.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 06:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Welcome to nighmare court.

The estate of the last person from ?? how many years ago, will have to go to probate court and all the legal heirs to that estate will have the right to file claim, the judge will decide ownership and issue a new deed.

Assuming she gets the deed, she can then have a title attorney or title company do a new one adding the daughter.

The issue will be if the grandfather had other brothers and sisters, they will have a legal claim to a share of the property.

Absolutely correct! And after all these years those possible heirs might be deceased but they will have decedents - and they might be deceased!

How is anyone getting Homeowners Insurance when the owner is, in fact, deceased - ?

Truly a nightmare. I've seen Attorneys go into Court and ask for an Order waiving probate (based on the assets, ownership of the property) but the approvals are very few and far between - at least in NYS.

Mar 19, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Most of the grandfathers brothers and sisters are dead and I believe she has gotten waivers from they children saying they don't want the property. I didn't realize this was going to be such a pain.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 19, 2008, 08:47 AM
    Oh yeah, Pain is putting it mildly. Your post will serve as a warning to anyone trying to forego probate or clearing up the estate of a deceased person. Do not wait, get this done ASAP.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probate Law: How do I sell a car whose title still has my deceased husband's name? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. My father died in December rather unexpectedly. He and my mom lived in Louisiana (Napoleanic code, etc.), and my mom wants to sell their two old cars to get a newer model. However, my dad's name is on the titles of the two cars, not my mom's. How does she go about removing his name from...

Transferring probation [ 1 Answers ]

Who has to give the OK for probation to be transferred to another state. My son lived in Kentucky, but committed a crime in Indiana. Does the probation department where he committed the crime make the decession or Indianapolis or who?

Adding Spouse as Owner to Residential Title [ 3 Answers ]

I married my husband a few months after he bought the home in which we live. I'd like to have my name added to the title as an equal owner -- we recently spent a fair amount of money ($60K) updating the home and I'd like to be listed as owner for security's sake. The home is in Texas and my...

Transferring home ownership title [ 1 Answers ]

My mother previously purchased a home from a relative. What are the procedures to follow to transfer title ownership?

View more questions Search