Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bimp5 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2008, 08:42 AM
    Morbid Obesity A Disability?
    Greetings All,

Does anyone know if Morbid Obesity is considered a disability? I am morbidly obese and my wife is very concerned for my health and says that I should apply for Disability. I am currently working (barely) and I know in order to qualify I can not be working. I know the process can be very long and I don't want to get financially ruined by not working trying to get Disability. I am the only one that works. My wife already gets Disability for something else but she had to get a lawyer to get approved and it was a long process. Any answers, tips, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2008, 02:36 PM
    If you are just overweight that alone does not qualify you for disability. If you have other medical problems such as diabetes, heart problems, etc that are ongoing and not just a few months duration, you will need to check with your regular doctor. When you apply for disability all your pertinent medical records will have to be reviewed to see if your other medical problems in addition to being overweight are a cause for you not being able to work. The fact that you are still working will show the deciding Disability Judge that you are not that disabled and more than likely you will be turned down. Disability turndowns are just the start of the process. Once you have been formally turned down once, you may contact a disability attorney who will present your case for you to the government and handle the hearings and obtain the necessary medical records required to win your case. This process can take literally years to successfully accomplish provided you are not working at all while waiting for your decision. I don't know of anyone who was successfully approved when I worked at a disability attorney's office in Florida years ago who was still working and collected disability. When you are approved they will calculate up just how much "back benefits" you are owned minus the 6 months waiting period that you were not working and pay you a lump sum at that point and then a monthly check after that.

Since your wife had an attorney, I would suggest contacting that person and see what they have to say about your case. Each person is different and that attorney should be able to answer your questions for you. Your state also may have different rules than Florida as far as you working, etc.
    ckpdrsn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2008, 09:54 AM
    Comment on twinkiedooter's post
    This was helpful thank you
    helenknows777 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2011, 12:51 PM
    I have not worked since October 15,2006. I weigh 341 pounds and I am 5ft 6in tall. Can I apply for morbid obesity disability. I can't stand for more than 30 minutes. I tried to walk a half a mile and had to sit down half the way threw it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Learning disability [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone.. Am a new member... I deal with children with disabilities... I have many cases to be assessed for "dyslexia" i.e 'Learning Disability'... as we live in India, English is the second language for most of the children... there are some children who have poor verbal and written...

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

My 19 year old step son and obesity [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 19 year old step son that I been married to his mother sense he was 14 and now he's way overweight like around 260 pounds + he only comes out of his beroom 3 to 4 times a day and stays on the internet 90% of the day and most of it is on Myspace and watches Soaps and Charms all the time,...

Obesity [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 14, 5ft.5in. And I weigh around 220 lbs. how do I lose weight to fit my schedule?:confused:

Is obesity a genetic factors? [ 6 Answers ]

I want to ask if obesity a genetic factor? My sister has been overweight almost all of her life, and now her sixteen year old daughter is facing this too. Though she has just started putting on weight during her summer vacations, but now we all are worried. I have heard of Diet Pills which help to...

View more questions Search