Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    defleopard22 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2006, 11:01 PM
    W-2 and unexpected 1099 from the same employer
    I was working with an employer on H1b as full time. Employer also paid me re-imbursements (substantial amount) for my expenses during the year as expenses.
    I had got W-2 from my employer and now the employer has sent me 1099-Misc for the expenses re-imbursements. Is it legal? Why he did not tell me and deduct my taxes earlier. I left that employer and I think, that's why he sent me 1099.
    What can I do? I was not working as independent contractor, but as full time employee. Don't I have right to get W-2.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2006, 10:18 AM
    Defleopard22:

Since you have left the employer, there is little you can do. However, reimbursement of these expenses and reporting the reimbursements under Form 1099-MISC is perfectly legal. You would report the income on Line #21 of Form 1040 as "Other Income". State that this money was "Reimbursement for expenses".

Have you filed your tax return yet for 2005? If not, you can claim the expenses as employee business expenses using Form 2016. Unfortunately, if you do not itemize, this option may not produce enough expenses to exceed your standard deduction. Further, the expenses that match 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income cannot be deducted.

If you have already filed your return and then determined that you could have deducted these expenses, you will have to file an amended return.

Feb 3, 2006, 02:52 PM
    Thanks Atlanta for your reply. No, I have not filed my tax return. But, this 1099 will take my tax liability thorugh the roof. Not to mention, the penalties I will have to pay.
    And, since I have a house payments, I have to itemize anyway. So, that's one good thing.

What kind of expenses can I show on 2016. These were per-diem re-imbursements. I never submitted any expense report to my employer.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2006, 11:35 PM
    At the minimum, you can claim the per-diem you were paid. That covers food, lodging and incidental expenses.

You can also claim any mileage you accrued for work (but NOT commuting expenses to and from work; commuting is never deductible).

Feb 18, 2006, 08:09 PM
    Thanks Atlanta. I have further question in this regard. I read everywhere, that,

W-2s are for employees, and 1099's are for non-employees. It is not correct to issue a 1099 to an employee, except for work they might perform after they cease to be employees.

Is it true? Is it wrong for them to issue 1099 for some wages for the time, when I their employee?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 18, 2006, 10:42 PM
    That is a misconception.

Form 1099-MISC is a multi-functional form. It is used to report rent and, yes, reimbursements to employees.

Feb 19, 2006, 01:47 AM
    Thanks Atlanta for your prompt reply. This is really great site for all the help we need.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 19, 2006, 09:04 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Got W-2 AND 1099-MISC from ONE employer [ 9 Answers ]

I am a full-time employee, and I don't have a business. For some reason, my boss gave both W-2 (larger part of salary) and 1099-misc(box 7, non-employee compensation, only small amount of salary). What should I do with 1099-misc? Need to file Schedule C? Can I be treated as self-employed? ...

Unexpected 1099-C [ 2 Answers ]

Today, four days after filing my 2005 Federal taxes, I received what looks like a valid 1099-C in an amount equal to the balance ($5,200.00) from an auto repossesion in January, 2003. Since I've filed, what's the likely action by the IRS ? Should I wait until I see what happens, or file an...

How can you know if employer will verify? [ 3 Answers ]

Is there any way to tell in advance whether an employer will attempt to verify an applicant's education/degrees? Is there a standard for this practice, particularly among municipal employers?

Unexpected visitors [ 12 Answers ]

How should I handle family members who show up at my door unexpectedly. I have asked them repeatedly to call first to see if their visit is convenient for me, but for some reason they refuse to respect my wishes. Please advise. joycesewandsew

Unexpected c-tree(R) error #215 [ 3 Answers ]

The problem occurs just after logging into win2000, if I click OK in the error box I get a blank screen for a few seconds & then the desktop reappears, followed shortley by the error again If I don't click OK in the error box I can use the PC as normal but it is very laggy The problem does...

View more questions Search