Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pinke_v Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2006, 09:46 PM
    Tax Treaty instructions
    Hi,

I am an Indian national and am trying to apply for the personal + standard deduction as outlined in the US-India tax treaty. As I was going through the instruction booklet for tax treaties (Pub 901), it states the following:

"The exemption does not apply to payments borne by a permanent establishment
    in the United States or paid by a U.S. citizen or resident, the U.S. Government, or any of its agencies, instrumentalities, political subdivisions, or local authorities."

I studied at the University of Massachusetts, which is a government body (state university). Does this mean that I cannot claim the said deductions?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks for your time.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2006, 10:12 PM
    What is your visa status?
    pinke_v Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2006, 10:16 PM
    I was F1 for the entire part of 2005, even though I graduated in June 2005 and was on an OPT job from July onwards.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2006, 10:33 PM
    Pinke:

Yes, you can claim both the personal exemption and the standard deduction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Carriage house ceilliing fan instructions [ 9 Answers ]

I am trying to install this ceilling fan, but I can not get the fan to bolt onto the mounting bracket. The bowl that fits around the bracket is getting in the way. Does anybody have a suggestion? I do not have intsructions to do this install.

Dish,vcr,dvd,cable to TV shcematic/instructions,please. [ 2 Answers ]

Plus no signal at all after several variations of connecting the dvd, even directly with no other connections, acts like it's working! can I just put a splitter on the TV coxial jack for the vcr/dish connection? Cable plugs into dish receiver, and works well, all componants is good condition and...

Can someone explain these instructions? [ 3 Answers ]

Express the numbers listed to three significant figures, writing the numbers in the first column in normal notation and the numbers in the second column in powers of 10(scientific notation) Express in Three significant figures 0.524 15.08 1444 0.0254 83,909

Bought new briggs 12 hp with no instructions (need Help) [ 1 Answers ]

Had a 34 ton log splitter with 9 hp engine. Engine wore out. Went to place I bought the log splitter 5 years ago (Tractor Supply) and they recommended a B&S 12 hp replacement. They had one left, the floor model. No manual, no key, nothing but the beautiful new engine no gas tank (which I...

Easy Instructions" Needed RE:What to do with favorites? [ 13 Answers ]

HELP PLEASE! I will be purchasing a MAC MINI in the next few days. I would appreciate receiving VERY EASY INSTRUCTIONS, and any opinions, ideas, suggestions, advice, etc. on what to do with the following situation? I have A lot of "FAVOURITES" - folders and pages SAVED and they are very important...

View more questions Search