Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    macnext1 Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2008, 03:35 AM
    Start - All Programs - Too Many - Can't See
    When I click on Start and then All Programs I have 4 columns of programs. The 4th column only displays about 4 characters, the rest of the name is off the screen. How do I get these so that I can see them all? I suspect that there is probably a fifth column that I can't see at all. I have a LOT of programs installed. Any help would be appreciated.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2008, 04:00 AM
    No one can possibly need all that many programs -- time to go to ADD/REMOVE

And get rid of as many programs as you can -- your computer will thank you

Probably run more stable and faster -- spring cleaning time

If you haven't used a program in a month -- get rid of it

Mar 19, 2008, 01:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by biggsie
    No one can possibly need all that many programs -- time to go to ADD/REMOVE

and get rid of as many programs as you can -- your computer will thank you

Probably run more stable and faster -- spring cleaning time

If you haven't used a program in a month -- get rid of it
    Not exactly the answer I was looking for. I would have to delete over 30 to even get started. A lot of these programs are in fact only used rarely but they are used. When I have a program that I don't use I get rid of it. Thanks anyway.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 19, 2008, 02:05 AM
    Sounds like you need to do some serious filing.

Now you can either set it to scroll the programs, although probably not a good idea, or sort them out into folders.

So open My Computer > Open C: drive > Documents and settings > All Users > Start Menu > Programs.

Now you may want to have a couple of windows open for this, but from here it's a simple case of drag and drop.

Maybe create some new folders for each type of programs, so say Games, Media, Tools, Junk, etc. Then just drag from Start menu/programs into the new folder.

This will effect ALL users on this machine.
    Now if this doesn't help that much, do the same in the user account as well.
    Same path but sub All Users for User Name.

Job done.

Mar 19, 2008, 04:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Sounds like you need to do some serious filing.

Now you can either set it to scroll the programs, although probably not a good idea, or sort them out into folders.

So open My Computer > Open C: drive > Documents and settings > All Users > Start Menu > Programs.

Now you may want to have a couple of windows open for this, but from here its a simple case of drag and drop.

Maybe create some new folders for each type of programs, so say Games, Media, Tools, Junk, etc. Then just drag from Start menu/programs into the new folder.

This will effect ALL users on this machine.
    Now if this doesn't help that much, do the same in the user account as well.
    Same path but sub All Users for User Name.

Job done.
    Ok that sounds like a plan. I have a question though. If I take a checkpoint before changes, will a checkpoint restart get me back if I don't like these changes?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 19, 2008, 04:29 AM
    Yes
    tf7426 Posts: 282, Reputation: 21

Mar 19, 2008, 05:28 AM
    There is something you can do without uninstalling anything..
    Go to control panel>taskbar and start menu

Click on the start menu tab, click on the settings tab, then click on the second tab in the box that comes up

Scroll through the options until you find one that says "scroll all programs" and tick the box next to it.

It'll take a while to scroll through the programs as it sounds like u have a LOT but you will be able to read everything now
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 06:00 AM
    If you have all these old programs on your system -- They are like old magazines

Most programs have updates -- And come out with newer versions

There are always new programs available -- Many are improved -- no bugs

I guess I picture a pack rat that saves everything -- I save many things I shouldn't

Have you heard of people who have stacks of clutter and paths around their house

A maze through rooms full of clutter -- That is why I suggested Spring Cleaning!

4 columns of programs -- Get a bigger screen?
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Mar 19, 2008, 06:18 AM
    Set you screen resolution to the highest it will go. It makes for small reading, but if this does not solve the issue, there's lots of great solutions posted before this one. My resolution goes to 1680x1050 pixels. I get a lot of real estate this way.

HTH
    drsam Posts: 49, Reputation: 3

Mar 19, 2008, 10:16 AM
    Bro. How many prog. Do you use from all of them we are sure most of them you wuldnt had open sinces ages its better to get rid of them,because now your computer had become a time bomb meaning you system will crash any time better to decrease its load when there is still time...

Mar 20, 2008, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tf7426
    there is something you can do without uninstalling anything..
    go to control panel>taskbar and start menu

click on the start menu tab, click on the settings tab, then click on the second tab in the box that comes up

scroll through the options until you find one that says "scroll all programs" and tick the box next to it.

itll take a while to scroll through the programs as it sounds like u have a LOT but you will be able to read everything now
    It appears that the option you describe is only available in the classic view. I tried that and could probably adjust to it but I don't think my wife would be willing to try it. So I had to switch back to the view that she is used to seeing. However I now have built myself a different problem. Along the bottom of the screen (toolbar? Taskbar?) I don't know what it is called but all those little symbols down there by the clock (there were only about 4 or 5 showing) there used to be a little arrow so you could expand that and see the rest. Now they are all displayed - 16 of them. How can I get it back to where it is collapsed?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Start Menu "All Programs" won't show the menu [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! This is my first post My Start Menu "All Programs" won't show the menu. Any kind soul please help

Must Have/Useful Programs [ 66 Answers ]

I thought it would be a good idea to get a list of useful programs that we could keep here. If a mod comes across this - could you sticky it please. It would be quite helpful. I'm bound to have missed some programs, so if there is some that you think should be on this list - post here or PM me...

Start up programs [ 1 Answers ]

How do you disable programs from running at start up on Windows XP Home. Everything I've found so far relates to enabling them. Thanks, Jim

Programs [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a free download that will help me find all the programs on my computer and remove the old, duplicate, or unused ones safely

View more questions Search