Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BiWiccanAndProud Posts: 530, Reputation: 25

Mar 17, 2008, 11:09 PM
    My future as an english teacher
    Okay I want nothing more in life then four things, to be a good wife and mother someday, and to be an english teacher and writer. I am sure I have all of the above down except for the teacher bit. I have a terrible memory and am on Strattara to help with it but I'm worried that even so my memory will still be to bad to be a teacher. I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to write very good lessons or forget what I'm saying in the middle of a lesson. I can't even remember what Hyperbole means half the time. I forget the simplest most essential pieces of english teaching.

I have a bunch of books on english grammar and english teaching and lesson planning. I've figured that if I read these books over and over again that I could memorize them perminately. I'm good at writing and have a great love of english and I love kids, and I'm sure that by the time I'm a teacher teenagers will be kids to me. I think that I would make a great teacher, my memory is the only thing worrying me.

Tell me at this moment... does it seem that I have any future as a teacher? And if it's not good, please tell me what else I can do, besides studying as hard as I can, that will help my chances.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 11:56 PM
    There are all sorts of things you can do as a teacher--teach preschoolers, train company workers in something, even work in a public library. As a teacher, yes, you will have to write lesson plans and develop curriculum. If I were you, I wouldn't obsess over that now. Like I mentioned in your other question, get an associates at a community college. That will tell you how well you like college, what you're good at, and what you want to do with all your skills. The career office can test you and counsel you about your future. Those might be the two most important years of your life!

I've read a lot of your posts and know you have a lot going for you. Just take it one step at a time and be nice to yourself. Your plans will come together gradually. Don't force it.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2008, 12:04 AM
    You do have admirable goals, BiWiccanAndProud! I also, don't have the greatest memory for certain things. If you immerse yourself in preparing to do what you would like to do now, then someday, I am sure that you will be able to do it. When I was in about the 7th grade, I started studying books about music theory. Doing that put me way ahead of what I would eventually be learning in college to become a music teacher.

Have you considered being a tutor to some kids right now? That would help you to practice and feel comfortable in some kind of teaching situation? You could also be making some money doing that.

Concerning your memory, I'm sure that there are lots of folks here who would be able to give you tips and tricks on how to remember things.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2008, 12:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    Just take it one step at a time and be nice to yourself. Your plans will come together gradually. Don't force it.
    That's very true! Learning how to do something is a gradual process that takes time. And, the important thing is to be putting the effort into it regularly in order to achieve your goal. But, you don't have to be over-doing it at this point in your life as far as your preparation and learning are concerned.

My 28-year-old daughter wants to do some of the things that I am involved with musically, such as: play the piano, tune pianos, play the string bass, build folk musical instruments, etc.

My words to her a number of years ago were, "Well, you had better get started. It takes a lot of time." When I was in college, I used to practice the piano six hours a day.

I'm not saying that you would have to study the material to be what you want to be someday that much now. But, when you are in college, you might find yourself doing that.

I'm glad that you are getting a head start now. It will make things easier for you later...
    BiWiccanAndProud Posts: 530, Reputation: 25

Mar 18, 2008, 06:23 AM
    Thanks guys. And I know it seems like I'm forcing it, but truthfully unless I pound something into my brain or think about it all the time, I can never remember what I learned.

I saw your other post on my college question WonderGirl, you are being a great help you too Clough. I'm just so worried about college it's not even right. My mom never graduated and neither did my step dad. I truthfully don't know about my dad or step mom. And then my sister who graduated last year, isn't even thinking about going to college. I want to be the one who goes and graduates.

As to the tutoring, I don't really tutor... but I do help people when they need it and often help my little brother, although I want to do high school teaching more then with younger kids. But who knows by the time I get into college that may change.
    tadita83 Posts: 130, Reputation: 16

Jun 3, 2008, 08:55 PM
    Honey, all teachers have bad memories (caused by nature or stressful students) you'll fit right in:)
    nothing lasts Posts: 71, Reputation: 2

Jan 2, 2010, 11:11 AM

ME 2 my only dream in life is to be an english teacher but I am afraid.I DON4T WHY I DON4T TRUST MYSELF
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 2, 2010, 12:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nothing lasts View Post
    ME 2 my only dream in life is to be an english teacher but i am afraid.I DON4T WHY I DON4T TRUST MYSELF
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...er-430588.html
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 2, 2010, 02:08 PM

Closed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

A scared english teacher [ 2 Answers ]

Hey.. I finished high school this year and I register in college of education to become a cycle 2 english teacher the problem is that am afraid that I've made the wrong choice ,I really do love my teachers.. actually I adore them and I adore their job and I think it's the perfect one in helping the...

Using future value of single amount, future value of annuity table. [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, my question is how do you know when to use the Future of value of single amount table, and when to use the future value of annuity table?

I need to WOW my english teacher [ 5 Answers ]

I'm writing a 3 paragraph essay about a short story and I need help. I need to know how to start my essay out good. Can you helP??

View more questions Search