Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kjgr123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2008, 07:06 PM
    Child neglect
    I was wondering, my friend left her eight year old home alone (the neighbor's were coming downstairs to get her as soon as they got home), but before they could get her her daughter's dad had came and got her and took her away after calling the police to say that she was neglect. The mother she has custody and the dad has visitation every other weekend. Is there any way that he is able to take her daughter and not give her back without them going to court first, even though they don't have a court date over it? Any advice that I could give her would be great. Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 07:10 PM
    Well he did, so I guess he can, it is not what he can or can't DO, it is what is legal or not legal. If the court decides that leaving a 8 year old alone at home is neglect odds are the father will be praised by the court for his protecting of his child, and have a chance to get a high custody of the child.

If the court decides there is no problem with a 8 year old being alone at home, then the father can be found in contempt of the court order and will be ordered to return the child and most likely get a warning from the court for this, ** although they could do more.
    So she has to file for an emergancy order to have child returned and a court date for him to be present in court with the child.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2008, 07:12 PM
    She might possibly better off leaving her with him until she has a better idea if there is any chance of Child Protective Services coming and taking her before the court date.
    What did the police say? Did they contact CPS? What all was she told?
    If they just gave her a warning and didn't contact CPS I would say she should be able to just get her back and not do anything to get in trouble again.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 18, 2008, 01:39 PM
    Not sure where you live but some states have laws on the books already about how old a child can be before being left alone. That's the first place to start.. find out what it is for your state / province you live in.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2008, 01:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3
    Not sure where you live but some states have laws on the books already about how old a child can be before being left alone. Thats the first place to start .. find out what it is for your state / province you live in.

I just got involved in one of these cases, trying to prove leaving the child alone was not an every day thing, it was an emergency and so forth. CPS did step in.

The child is 12 and this is NYS.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2008, 05:27 PM
    And I often hear of 12 yr olds babysitting... with no problem. My CPS (late 1990's) workers said it depended on how mature, how long they are left and so forth.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 18, 2008, 06:58 PM
    I am not aware of specific laws in any state ( not saying there is not, just have never seen them)

The issues are that no one ever says anything, nothing happens, until something happens for example that 12 year old babysitting, no issue until a child is missing and then the parents get filed for allowing a child to watch their kids,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gardianship/custody/supervised visitation/neglect? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a costodial for neither a blood child nor related child. There is a two year old grandaughter of my fiancé that got dropped on our door step because dyfs said that she was going to be put up for adoption to my fiance's son father of the child in question. This child has been through hell her...

Property Manager Neglect [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, are there any laws that protect me when it comes to my property manager. My pm has not sent my monthly proceeds collected from the tenant for the past 2 months. The home owners received notice that they were closing the company and would be transferring our files to another company only to...

Not changing wet bedsheets . Neglect? [ 21 Answers ]

Ok I guess I went into way too much detail so I am totally editing this and we will see if anyone answers me... I just found out My ex husband does not use pull ups or goodnights on my 2 oldest children 12 and 9. They both obviously wet the bed. I also found out that the children get BACK INTO...

Housing Neglect [ 2 Answers ]

Before fall of 2006 I was Red flagged by KGS (Kansas Gas Service) well my furnace was because it was leaking Gas(Carbon Monoxide). I had him shut the valve off to the furnace and I called the landlord, they sent out a maintenance man who looked at it and told me nothing was wrong with it. I told...

View more questions Search