Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    031279LAURA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2008, 02:26 PM
    Quit claim/corporate tax
    [email protected]A few years back, I quit claimed my home to my mother. She is now terminally ill and wants to quit claim the home back to me. This quit claim deed was necessary due to a messy divorce and the ex wanting to claim this property as joint owned.

Shortly before our divorce was final, we owned a corporation, which owed back payroll taxes. My ex convinced the IRS agent that we were dealing with, that I was solely responsible for paying these taxes, since I wrote the majority of the checks. Because he was so convincing, the IRS placed a lien on me personally(not him or the corporation) In the divorce settlement, he was awarded the business and was to be responsible for all debts of the corporation.

Should, my mother quit claim this home back to me, will the IRS have any claim to this property and how can I get this lien removed from me? We were married for 24 years and jointly owned the corporation since 1988. Since I do no longer own the company, am I any way responsible to these taxes.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 06:59 PM
    Did not have an atttorney at your IRS meeting? A corporation debt should not be personally liable, unless you were not keeping personal and busienss money separate. So if the IRS has this as a personal debt, yes they can put a lien on the property. But then if you merely transferred it to hide it, ( which is illegal) the IRS could put a lien on it now anyway, if they prove you really own it but merely hit it from ex by doing a quitclaim deed for divorce purpose and did not really sell it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quit Claim [ 3 Answers ]

Here's my question - what are the pros/cons of a quit claim or interspousal transfer. My husband and I are separating and the only item we are together on is the house. I am staying in house he is moving out of state. Friends have suggested he transfer the house to me (which he stated he will)....

Quit Claim or Quick Claim [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between a Quit Claim and a Quick Claim? Also, the last year of my mothers life she was very ill and lived with me, she signed her house over to me . Now I am going to sell it, do I have to pay taxes on the money I receive? I have heard if you are over a certain age you do not...

Quit Claim [ 1 Answers ]

I've filled out Quit Claim form. Now, I need to get it notarized. Where do you go to get it notarized? I live Oak Lawn Illinois, cook county.

View more questions Search