Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kennethscheffler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2008, 01:16 PM
    Number of Marines in Iraq and Afghanistan
    My son has decided to join the Marines. While I'm proud of him because this is a commendable thing, but he's my only child and I'm understandably worried with two wars going on. How many Marines are currently stationed in Afghanistan and how many in Iraq? Thank you.
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Sep 24, 2008, 09:26 AM

Mr. Scheffler -

I understand your concern for your son and hope that ultimately you can support his decision and have his back.

You might be able to find out more information on troop deployment sizes in Iraq and Afganistan by visiting the U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) website: http://www.centcom.mil/

CENTCOM is the command arm of all US and coalition forces involved in both conflicts in the Middle East. Alternatively, you can find specific unit information on Marines.mil :: Official Home of the United States Marine Corps.

It might take some digging around but you should be able to find what you are looking for.

Basically, the Marines routinely operate in both theaters of war all of the time and it's highly likely that if your son went in he would receive the call to go the 'Ghan or Iraq or both.

I recommend that you find out what your son's specific MOS interest is and find out what you can about it, that way you are more aware of the potential risks of his service. An infantryman is more than likely to see action but a cook is not so likely to. It's that kind of dynamic, if you understand what I mean.

Semper Fi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

College or Marines [ 38 Answers ]

Hello. I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance. For the longest time I've wanted to serve my country, after September 11th my will became greater. I am a senior in high school and for the better half of the year I had been fixed on enlisting into the Marines right after I...

Would I be able to handle the marines [ 5 Answers ]

I am a small lady I am not sure that my body would be able to take the beating. I would like to go in to the marines after high school. How much of my college fund will they pay? After that I would like to start a career in underwater welding but that is another topic.

Major victory in Afghanistan [ 5 Answers ]

So major even the NY Slimes has to give it space. Taliban Loses Grip on Last Major Town - New York Times So what do you think ? How long before San Fran Nan and Harry Reid declare Afghanistan a loss and start defunding this war effort ?

Afghanistan [ 26 Answers ]

Let's say we were to go ahead with the Democrats idea of moving 150,000 troops from Iraq to fight in Afghanistan . Then we lose Pakistan's cooperation in the effort . Afghanistan is land locked with Pakistan and Iran owning the direct routes from the nearest ocean . Currently 75 percent of all...

How many army and marines are in Iraq and Afghanistan? [ 2 Answers ]

How many army troops and Marines are in Iraq and Afghanistan?

View more questions Search