Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MILLINNIUM MANAGEMENT Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2008, 12:09 PM
    Are s.s. savings bond tax exempt through living trust
    I received some u.s. savings bonds through my mothers living trust are they tax exempt since they were part of the estate that was exempt from taxes? The bonds are very old and most of the value is in the interest.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2008, 06:50 AM
    Hello M:

IF the trust was tax exempt, you're not. If you own the bonds now, you must pay the income tax on them.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2008, 08:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MILLINNIUM MANAGEMENT
    i received some u.s. savings bonds thru my mothers living trust are they tax exempt since they were part of the estate that was exempt from taxes? the bonds are very old and most of the value is in the interest.

The moved out of tax exempt status when they moved out of the tax exempt estate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to report Illinois College Savings Bond [ 4 Answers ]

I purchase an Illinois College Savings Bond for my 20 year old son when he was born. IT is a zero-coupon bond from the State of Illinois that is federally and state tax exempt. I received a 1099-B for it when I redeemed it in 2007. I have looked everywhere on the IRS site and the State of IL...

What is a living trust? [ 1 Answers ]

What is a living trust?

Living Trust [ 1 Answers ]

My father passed away 2004 and I was told he had done a living trust to avoid probate when he died my oldest sister said she was named executor of my dads estate I asked to see the will or trust at that time and she said everything was left to my mom and when she died it would be read now my mom...

Living Trust [ 2 Answers ]

My mother passed in September of 2006 and my sister is the executor of the living trust, I would like to know what my rights are as one of the beneficiaries of the estate. By that I mean, can I ask questions, (financial), get a disclosure, or am I just to sit and wait for her to execute the will? ...

US Savings Bond Questions [ 5 Answers ]

I actually have two questions: 1. My elderly grandmother and uncle (her son) have a joint checking account. Uncle passed away suddenly - no will - no children or wife - no estate - no probate. Almost a year later we found some savings bonds in his name (and his deceased wife of 10 yrs ago) on...

View more questions Search