Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 04:25 PM
    DH... you need to open hot water side of two handle faucet if you have one that is two handles on first floor (I remembered that other bath is fed by other water heater.;) ) and then drain water off at the drain on the water heater. Drain off 10 gallons or so... do not empty heater... no reason too. If no two handle faucets let me know.

And again, be sure power to heater is shut off at breaker. Keep us updated exactly as you are doing... :)

Kiss...you said it! I mentioned the stamped in letters in jacket. Hopefully they have it from here... *crossing fingers*

AND DH...did you confirm warm /hot water coming out of the cold side of your faucets before you began repiping heater..?? You really needed to confirm that before proceeding.
    dharrell1203 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2008, 04:48 PM
    When I started to turn the valves off on the hot side I guess it was a little loose and water started coming out, that was water that was coming out was warm. I still have the cloudy water though. I opened all the faucets and had them all running and the water was clearer than before but that's only when they are all open.

Mar 17, 2008, 04:48 PM
    I didn't see anything saying cold or hot on the pipes.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 04:54 PM
    DH... did you test faucets.. Is cold coming from cold side and hot from hot side of faucets at 1st floor faucets/valves..?

The marking is not on the pipe. The word HOT and the word COLD should be stamped into the metal jacket in front of the tappings into the heater.. look for that. The hot side will have red plastic collar and the cold side will have blue plastic collar at the tappings of heater.

Mar 17, 2008, 04:56 PM
    Give me a minute, let me undo that and test that water.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 04:58 PM
    I'm here!

Mar 17, 2008, 05:06 PM
    Ok I just disconnected the lines and turned the red valved on and it was cold. The other valve, nothing came out.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 05:37 PM
    DH... turn any shutoffs that you turned off at the heater ON.. all of them. Then retest. Do you get cold from cold... hot from hot sides of faucets/valves? Let me know.

Mar 17, 2008, 05:49 PM
    I got cold from the cold line, and hot from all the faucets when both lines are connected to the heater. Not connected to the heater the line with two red valves is cold, the line with a green valve when turned on nothing comes out.
    I have a cold line connected to the blue on the heater and the other to the red, I turned the tub faucet on now and hopefully waiting for the water to clear.

Mar 17, 2008, 05:56 PM
    Now I seem to have a bigger problem. I tightened the green valve(from the hot line) and its dripping. How do I stop this.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 06:00 PM
    Tighten the packing nut DH.. see pic. It is not exactly what you have, but idea is that there is a nut at the stem of shutoffs... tighten this with pliers 1/4 turn... no more. That should fix. Answer my questions after that!! Mark
    Attached Images

Mar 17, 2008, 06:19 PM
    I just took a picture of it to show you where its leaking. Where can I send it for you to view. I tried tightening it and it seemed to get worse.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 06:27 PM
    DH.. shut it off for now. Than can send via the "GO ADVANCED" button at the place you post your questions. Keep it coming...

Mar 17, 2008, 06:34 PM
    How do I shut it off, I tried opening and closing the valve but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

I am having problems sending it via this site.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 06:47 PM
    DH... I am sorry to say.. but sounds like you need some help here. Lots going on... maybe electric is miswired (maybe?), maybe lines are crossed (?), and now a shutoff that is so old that tightening the packing nut does not work..? I got to say... *ouch*

I would shut off the water main at this time... be careful now. Then call in plumber. Sometimes the plumbing pipes/valves are so old/defective that you simply need to replace them. Let me know what you think.. Mark

Mar 17, 2008, 06:51 PM
    That's what I was thinking also, replacing the valve. I have no idea how old the pipes actually are. I'm sure pretty old, the house is 40+ years old so I can only imagine how old the pipes are. It seemed when I loosened it more water came out. I've got it set now where a small trickle comes out, hopefully that will suffice until tomorrow.

Is it hard to replace a valve? Or would a plumber be recommended, and how much would it charge to have that replaced?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 07:00 PM
    DH... call the plumber in the morning. Cost depends on pipe type and just how much work needs to be done. Keep us all posted here, we are glad to help. I am sorry was not a nice easy fix for you... Mark

Mar 17, 2008, 07:08 PM
    I think I have the picture attached here. If you can see it, look at the black area. This is where it is leaking. Let me know what you think I should do at this point.
    Thanks.
    Attached Images

KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2008, 07:18 PM
    Can you post a picture using "go advanced"?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 07:31 PM
    DH... we all worked this one pretty hard. Call the plumber in morning... that valve/piping needs to be replaced. The pipes need to be replaced... and you need to be sure that the water heater has been installed properly!

Actually, this is serious stuff! If the temperature and pressure relief valve was not installed correctly, you could have dangerous situation. Too much going on here. Call licensed plumber.. have him fix and approve this installation... for you and your family's safety.

The plumber will explain more when he arrives. I do this at this point... for your safety... ok? Let me know result.. please. Goodnight... Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

Low hot water pressure through the whole house even ater replacing water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I'm still experiencing low hot water pressure even after replacing the water heater. When you first turn on the faucets the pressure will be fine but within a few seconds it drops again.

How much should it cost to have thermocouple replaced on a hot water heater [ 8 Answers ]

How much should it cost to have thermocouple replaced on a hot water heater?

New water heater, no hot water pressure in 2 bath/showers [ 3 Answers ]

A new water heater was installed yesterday, but I have no HOT water pressure in either of my showers. Is it the old fixtures, or a leaking pipes?

Low hot water pressure in replaced faucet [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced the faucet in a first floor bathroom, cold water is fine but hot water flow was almost non existent. I checked and cleaned the screen in the tap which did increase the flow to a trickle but still nothing like an acceptable flow. I checked the hot water supply pipe and that is fine (I...

View more questions Search